Exhaust gaskets or valve adjustment?

Don't know if this post is in the right spot.  Excuse me.  So I've got an 04 vtech. Just yesterday it developed a ticking noise accompanied by louder exhaust note. Im at 45,000, and dont have any history on this bike. This only occurs when up to temp, and at a lower rpm (as far as I can hear) dont know if I want to pay high costs of a valve adjustment just for it to  be exhaust gaskets. I just dont want to accept a valve train problem when the exhaust is so loud. Ticking noise seems to be coming from the headers. Thanks in advance for any direction on this matter!

Could be exhaust gaskets, but if you haven't messed with them, probably not. You would hear the leak when cold.

I'm pretty new to the vtec v4, but if it's a Honda v4 with a cam chain, the tensioners are bound to go at some point. They've had updates/upgrades on tensioners since the 80s. Normal wear and tear service part.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

FWIW my 4th gen developed a loud exhaust note coming from the rear cylinder bank a few years ago. I let it go for a while (longer than I should) and when I finally got to the root of the problem, I found, or rather didn't find, an exhaust gasket in the right rear exhaust port. Of course I had to replace all the exhaust gaskets because I had to take the whole exhaust off to get to that point. Oh, and I had to replace an exhaust stud on the front left header too. Anyway, if it sounds like a loud exhaust, it's probably a gasket and not a valve adjustment fix.

So a little update. Still riding to diagnose (probably not the greatest idea) ticking noise seems to be getting quieter...but now from idle to a blip of the throttle I get what sounds like a pop coming out of the mufflers. No power loss at all, and vtech kicks in as usual. Also forgot to mention the smell of raw gas at startup, if that means anything. 

Archived