Do you find draining the oil a PITA ?

Mohawk

• Member Contributer

Then you need one of these !  A FUMOTO ENGINE OIL DRAIN VALVE 🙂

AE82992C-CD55-4715-97E5-234A58FBC1FD.thumb.jpeg.e2cc34be9b6fe896c4196355a2ef09ac.jpeg

You don’t even need to remove the fairing nor need a spanner, no risk of over tightening the drain bold either. The lever has a spring loaded dual action to actuate the double sealed ball valve. 

Works great, been on there for a few years now, no leaks, no spanner’s, no new crush washers required. To drain oil, warm engine, place catch tank under engine, actuate the valve, when drained, close the valve & refill.

I’ll try to dig out the exact version, and add it here.

• Member Contributer

Got a similar piece on my 6g and it works a treat so I got 1 for the cbr.....

fail.

because of the L shape I need to drop the whole exhaust 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Then you need one of these !  A FUMOTO ENGINE OIL DRAIN VALVE 🙂

AE82992C-CD55-4715-97E5-234A58FBC1FD.thumb.jpeg.e2cc34be9b6fe896c4196355a2ef09ac.jpeg

You don’t even need to remove the fairing nor need a spanner, no risk of over tightening the drain bold either. The lever has a spring loaded dual action to actuate the double sealed ball valve. 

Works great, been on there for a few years now, no leaks, no spanner’s, no new crush washers required. To drain oil, warm engine, place catch tank under engine, actuate the valve, when drained, close the valve & refill.

I’ll try to dig out the exact version, and add it here.

:lurk:A fabulous idea. I can't wait. I'd love to get a couple.

• Member Contributer

I’ve got one too! I think they redesigned them and now you don’t need to trim the aluminum tab on the bottom of the pan. 

• Member Contributer

They do have a new design, I have one for the VFR, but haven't put it on yet. They are a two

piece design that allows you to put the drain outlet where ever you want it. Yep, no need to

trim the tab. It's called the BSX Series.

I have Fumoto valves on all my vehicles, well not my lawn mower, but all the rest. Sure make

oil changes less of a mess. And makes it easy to grab an oil sample for Blackstone Labs.

• Member Contributer

I've thought about building something like that but I never came up with a valve that would work well. Nice to know there's a commercial solution... I may have to splurge...

• Member Contributer

And I submit my retort.

You need a Stahlbus drain valve. Comes with hose attached to the mating part, solving the biggest issue of controlling where all that oil goes. Available with safety wire drilled cap.

Oelablassventil-stahl.jpg

https://www.stahlbus.com/info/en/products/oil-drain-valves

Oelablass-Anleitung-6er-engl-500.jpg

• Member Contributer
On 8/7/2019 at 12:38 AM, skant153 said:

I wonder if either of these solutions get corroded in place

Doesn't really matter, so long as the valve works & seals when closed. Then I'll never try to loosen it ! 

• Member Contributer
On 8/6/2019 at 6:38 PM, skant153 said:

I wonder if either of these solutions get corroded in place

I've had one on my Cummins diesel for over 7 years with no issues. Love it. Always opens and closes with minimal muss and fuss.

• Member Contributer

Well... you sold me on it. I can see the Stahlbus being a better choice for a naked bike, simply because it looks like it's lower profile, but I prefer the Fumoto because everything is permanently attached. There are plenty of lower hanging pieces on a VFR and I don't want to need an extra piece to make it function... might as well just use the wrench and do it the old fashioned way. I just installed a B109SX today and it seems like an excellent unit. I imagine you could do an oil change in a parts store parking lot in minutes with this installed, which would definitely make it worthwhile for the long distance rider. 

Nice to see positive response! Last time I brought this up ppl were up in arms saying "oh won't it drag on the ground" (no it is above the header), "oh won't a tumbling pebble move the lever and dump your oil causing you to crash and burn and die" (not possible), "oh won't that allow bad ppl to drain your oil when you aren't looking"... seriously...

I like the fumoto a lot. Only 2 negative things I'll say is it reduces the drain hole size, so your oil will take longer to drain. And if the threaded body is longer than the threads in the pan, you will not be able to drain 100% of the oil. 

For those reasons, I prefer to buy the largest available valve and then drill & tap the oil pan for the larger size. While the pan is off I check the inside to make sure all the oil can drain. If the valve body extends above the floor of the pan, I trim it down flush. After that, happy trails. 

Fumoto also offers versions with a nipple extension which allow a hose to be pushed on prior to opening the valve. Oil flow is controlled by the lever, not installation of the hose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 8/6/2019 at 4:24 PM, YoshiHNS said:

And I submit my retort.

You need a Stahlbus drain valve. Comes with hose attached to the mating part, solving the biggest issue of controlling where all that oil goes. Available with safety wire drilled cap.

Oelablassventil-stahl.jpg

https://www.stahlbus.com/info/en/products/oil-drain-valves

Oelablass-Anleitung-6er-engl-500.jpg

Wow...I am likin' THIS system for my 8th. Doesnt take up much real estate, it doesnt violate the KISS principle, no one can open my valve for me, and it has that safety backup cap. Gotta see how much it costs in the US. 

Archived