Charging issue, 2013 VFR1200F

HarryS

Looking for a bit of advice... New to me 2013 VFR1200F with 19,500 miles.  purchased at a dealership about 2 hours away.  4th day I have it, it won't start.  Battery is almost dead.  I put it on my charger overnight, it showed as fully charged in the morning, and I rode it that day.

Put it back on the charger, and it's showing as "less than 75% charged".  Any ideas on where I should start looking into the issue?  I'm assuming it's not the battery.

Also - would anyone expect this to be handled by the dealer who sold it to me?  I don't want to have to take it there, so what should I expect from them?

Thanks!

I'd put the battery on the charger and see what the voltage is after it's completed charging and disconnected from the charger for a few hours.

Maybe you have the original battery?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'll hit the auto parts store today and grab a voltage tester (I don't have a good assortment of tools, I tend to buy things as I need them).

No idea if it's the original battery - but would a bad battery take a full charge and show as such on the charger?  The charger manual says if the battery can't be charged, I would get an error light on the charger.

Maybe. But the easy check would be to check resting voltage on the battery. Needs to be 12.6v or better after sitting or it's on its way out.

Then I'd dig into charging system output

Charged battery fully, left it all day.  Ten hours later, battery reads 12.97 with bike off.  12.45 with bike on.  Drops to 10.92 when starting.  14.30 when running 

My understanding is that means the battery is good, and it's charging properly while the bike is running.  Is that right?

What to check next? 

Sounds like a good battery.

Charging voltage seems good. Have you checked the voltage when the bike is hot? Like after a good ride? Maybe the stator or regulator is failing from heat

Any alarms or non-stock items that could have a parasitic current draw?

• 2 weeks later...

So, since testing everything, I have had no issues.  Two weeks, starts every time.  No problems.

I think I may have left the key in the on position all day... 

Well, at least I learned how to use a battery tester.

Archived