Anti seize on plug threads?

• Member Contributer

The NGK plugs in my gen 5 have been known to work loose! This, after being installed to the manual's spec without lube. I now take a lot of care when installing plugs in the VFR because I rather like my Honda V4 Engine.

• Member Contributer
On 8/4/2019 at 5:14 AM, Mohawk said:

No need to torque plugs. NGK advises to hand tighten, plus 1/8th turn. The crush sealing washer is designed to absorb this method three times, i.e. you can take the plug out twice & reinstall it before you should use a new crush washer.

Actually the spec is 1/2 turn after hand tight.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Zarquon said:

The NGK plugs in my gen 5 have been known to work loose! This, after being installed to the manual's spec without lube. I now take a lot of care when installing plugs in the VFR because I rather like my Honda V4 Engine.

Not to be harsh, but it's pretty unlikely. More likely that you didn't get them tight enough when installed.

If it worked loose when you tightened it correctly, why would you expect it to stay tight when you installed

new ones? No matter how careful you are.

In over 50 years of motorcyling, car/truck driving, I've never had a plug get loose.

• Member Contributer

The guy I bought my '99 from was a motorcycle mechanic and would have installed the last set. When I removed them, they seemed barley tight enough to stay in the socket. Not loose but what I would call close to loose. I have no reason to doubt he installed them correctly. BTW...they were in the bike much longer than spec. 19,000km  (12,000 miles). Spec according to the shop manual is 12,000km (8,000 miles).

The only reason I even considered replacing them was the fact that the bike was getting reluctant to start easily when cold.

Archived