compatible lock sets

Morning, 

bit of a shot in the dark here but ...

Had a spot of bad luck yesterday, lost my one and only key for my 1994 vfr. I am wondering if anyone knows of any other bikes or generations of vfrs that have compatible lock sets. ignition, fuel and seat as a complet set is quite difficult / expensive.

thanks for any directions i can be pointed in, I really hate it only posting when I have a problem!

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

To remove the ignition lock bolts, use a M8 spline (not a TORX) and a impact driver to make your life easy.

IMG_20190715_121029.jpg.

PS: I bought an OEM set relatively cheap in the US, no idea if the Chinise set is any good 

I'll be interseted to see how you get the fueltank lock open....

The 30.00 eBay sets are an exact match to OEM Honda. I have replaced quite a few.

Not sure about the post above, but if you place your triple clamp in a vise protected with a towel so the vise won't scratch it, a Torx bit will turn the bolt out.

They are not in there extremely tight.

A good locksmith can have the tank open in a flash.

A good locksmith could make you a new key in less than one hour. Then you don't have to change out anything... What is your time worth?

It will take you an hour just to remove your triple clamp.

Here is one I did last week:

1 hour ago, gr8vfr said:

Not sure about the post above, but if you place your triple clamp in a vise protected with a towel so the vise won't scratch it, a Torx bit will turn the bolt out.

They are not in there extremely tight.

It will take you an hour just to remove your triple clamp.

They are on there extremely tight. i suggest the spline bit. i stripped both bolts with a torx on my cbr, the extractor only tore more material away. i welded a hex nut and that sheared off as well. ultimately i had to drill the bolts out clean the threads with a tap. either OEM puts red locktite on or the previous owner did. it was a bear.

also, it only took about 5 minutes to get the triple clamp off.

• Member Contributer

I can't comment specifically on the above hints. They all sound good to me. But just in case you don't know, the lock cylinders are each stamped with a key code. The code is the same on each cylinder so the same key fits all your locks. If you find one of the key codes, you can order a key with that number. I'm not sure which of the three locks is easiest to access. On my bike, I got a key code under the gas cap...but I still had a key(!) 

The keys cost about $10 each. Dutchy's link shows an entire replacement lock set for less than $20...including two keys. Presumably, you'll get two keys no matter which option you choose. You don't want to go through this whole thing again... And maybe a cautionary story to anybody out there with only one key...write down your key code now!  Good luck.

I was courious about the eBay lock set and how close of a match it is to OEM.

I have a Honda OEM key blank which is a perfect match to the eBay key set.

To me that is a bonus because I can resell the bike with OEM keys.

• Member Contributer
16 minutes ago, gr8vfr said:

I can resell the bike with OEM keys.

Go wash your mouth with green soap and a wire brush NOW!!!

Selling?

A VFR?

Bad man......  :goofy:

I would sell a VFR. But the two I currently own have more sentimental value than they are worth.

I refresh bikes for a hobby. I do videos while I build and post them on Youtube for some extra $$$.

I bought this bike early in July. Very rough looking but strong engine.

stretch.jpg.df5c4ad2bb431995796a14bf2b9b817b.jpg

After a few weeks of love, this is what I have for sale now.

IMG_20190801_08003.thumb.jpg.e50d3cc210d86f5b62c565b3a5678889.jpg

864471853_IMG_20190801_0759311.thumb.jpg.4e6717c80bce0646ff8b5c68724abefb.jpg190917063_IMG_20190801_0800121.thumb.jpg.940405d73ebeed151dc3aeaf45a3f5a2.jpg

Archived