Vfr800 vtec 2006 not starting HELP!!!!!!!

Stuartm

My bike was running perfect and i have not ridden her for a while so i went to start her and she just turns over but will not start and there is no smell of fuel. All fuses are fine engine kill is fine side stand is fine fuel pump primes, vacuum hoses are fine. Spark is there too. There is no smell of fuel when i turn it over so i removed the fuel line and turned it on the fuel pump pumps fuel for a few seconds then stops which i presume is fine? Then i reconnected the fuel line to the fuel rail and tried the bike again it started first time perfectly but only ran for about a minute then died and sounded like fuel starvation. Again tried to start and bike just turns over with no smell of fuel has anyone any ideas what i can check or what this can possibly be?

• Member Contributer

Do you have any other transponder key/tag on your key ring?

Do you have a spare Ignition Key and have you tried it?

What is the annoying bright red LED in the middle of your tacho?

Try starting your bike with the Side Stand UP and your clutch pulled in - does this make any difference?

I have tried both keys and it makes no difference, side stand and clutch tried both and make no difference, the red light is the black centre of the tach needle missing. I think I’m going to jump the fuel relay and see if that makes a difference

• Member Contributer
On 7/30/2019 at 10:18 PM, Stuartm said:

I have tried both keys and it makes no difference, side stand and clutch tried both and make no difference, the red light is the black centre of the tach needle missing. I think I’m going to jump the fuel relay and see if that makes a difference

If you hear your fuel pump run for two to three seconds Every time you turn on your ignition then the relay is probably o.k. You can swap the Fuel Cut Relay with either the Hi Beam, Low Beam or Engine stop Relay as they are all the same.

Do you have the Service Manual?

I would start checking the Grounds and 12v Supply voltage to the ECM.

You need to have a solid GROUND back to the Negative of the battery on the ECM Gray connector B1,B2 and B14. You need to have a solid 12v at switch ON at B12. You can simply back probe the ECM Gray Plug. 

Hi yes it runs for that few seconds every time its just when you turn it over there is no smell of fuel so there is something odd about this, i will change the relay but i dont think its that thats the problem as i think the relay is not getting power after the initial priming is done and thats why the bike wont start

• Member Contributer

Once your engine is cranking over and the ECM is seeing either Cam Pulse or Ignition Pulse (don't know exactly which one), it will energize the Fuel Cut Relay, this should happen while you are cranking the engine over to start it. Any issues with the Cam or Ignition pulse generators will flag up a diagnostic code on the Fi Light.

Ill try the bypass and see if that works then try and figure the next one after that ill let you know how i get on and have a look at both the cam and ignition connections too

thanks for just now

• Member Contributer

I know you said you've checked the Fuses, but, have you thoroughly checked your main 30amp fuse next to your starter relay? This fuse can suffer from heat stress and burnt wiring causing voltage drop to your ECM potentially stopping your injectors from operating.

That fuse is fine and when i had the fuel line off the fuel rail and then put it back on the bike started first time perfectly until it ran out of fuel so what I’m going to check and see if i can bypass the fuel relay and get the pump to run continuously and see if thats the problem as i think its just a process of elimination but ill check that fuse again

thanks 

That fuse is fine and when i had the fuel line off the fuel rail and then put it back on the bike started first time perfectly until it ran out of fuel so what I’m going to check and see if i can bypass the fuel relay and get the pump to run continuously and see if thats the problem as i think its just a process of elimination but ill check that fuse again

thanks 

Just to give you an update i checked all the fuses again and i jumped the fuel relay which made no difference at all so i pulled a plug to check for spark had that and it started first time but rough its only running on three cylinders I didn’t have time last night to pull the cold plug to see if it was sparking but ill get that over the weekend. I hope this is not going to be one of those intermitant faults that can never actually be found

• Member Contributer

Check those ECM Grounds and voltage I mentioned earlier. Its always best to verify all relevant voltages and grounds are correct before making other assumptions.

Archived