Black Widow Exhaust

• Member Contributer

There has been some very polarised views about them on other forums in the past.

I would do some investigating before committing to a purchase.

• Member Contributer

Have a Black Widow 350mm, round, high mount muffler on my Gen 4, so can't speak to full exhaust.  I put off buying a hi-mount for 20 years so the choices are now just Black Widow and Delkevic.  I went with Black Widow for the heat guard, overall muffler choices, and the general look appealed to me over the Delkevic.

The system came very well packaged with everything needed, including sealant.  Wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised at the finish. On the outside it appeared to be as well-made as as any exhaust I've acquired before, including Termingnoni, Sil Motor, Arrow and DAM.  

Fitment was spot-on, matched the lines of the rear cowl perfectly.  Muffler was offset perfectly from frame/cowl.

Installed it in Jan., with the quietest dB killer insert they offered.  It is definitely louder than stock, but won't offend neighbors.  Nice throaty sound which gets higher pitched as RPM increases.  Hardly noticeable at highway speeds.  I've put over 5k miles on the system, including a recent 3k trip through some of the best roads in CA.  Muffler has not changed in amplitude or frequency, so packing appears to holding up pretty well so far.

Overall I love the look...especially with the 8-spoke wheel.

Very satisfied with the purchase.  That said, there are always little things that could be improved.  They used huge SHCS's for the heat guard.  I swapped them for black painted button heads a few days ago.  Would also be nice to have a more styled heat guard...thinking about making a custom piece.  And, the Black Widow label is a sticker - so care during cleaning is needed.

Here's some pic's right after install:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

That Blackwidow sticker would be the very first thing I would have removed.

I have a set of Devil exhaust on my Superhawk, Those Devil logos could not get off of the cans fast enough.

When I got my current forth Gen a buddy in FL sent me a Yoshimura which he removed from his 97 back in 98 when he sold it. It was stored in his garage for a long time. A couple hours of polishing and it looked just like the day he bought it. I polished it again today before my ride.

I would expect that once you got the high mount mid pipe, you could easily get any can to fit.

• Member Contributer

Well....the Black Widow exhaust looks pretty darn good to me.  I have...or rather had the Delkevic high mount exhaust on my '97 but had to remove it to put the Givi hard cases on.  I still have the Delkevic slip-on, just mounted in the low position.

Curious though if the Black Widow requires re-jetting or not???

Thanks for the pictures.....

I’ve got the full system from black widow for my current (very) custom 4th gen. I can only talk about fitment as I'm yet to run the engine after it's rebuild. I can say the system fits like a glove, all ports and studs Line up, no pushing or pulling needed.

The finish on the welds isn't amazing. . But for the price I'd never complain about it. Also that heat guard . . I threw it in the bin the moment I opened the box. Im molding a carbon piece as a replacement. 

When it's all plumed up the polished pipes look a million bucks compared to the old steel

• Member Contributer

I did not make my question very clear about re-jetting, I went back and edited my posting....I was wondering if with the full Black Widow exhaust system if re-jetting is required?

I will add that I have had numerous compliments about the sound of the Delkevic can I have on mine....without the dB killer of course.

Archived