Crosswinds

Calculon

• Member Contributer

I've noticed this year that my Interceptor is a bit much to handle in high winds/crosswinds.  It became particularly noticeable the day I took both my Versys and VFR to the shop for their annual inspection on the same day.  A bit gusty out there and while on the interstate the VFR got pushed around a great deal while the Versys hardly moved.  I'm assuming it's the large amounts of plastic that catch the wind.  My old Ninja 650 behaved similarly.

What's the versys weigh? The posture of it seems like it'd be the opposite. I don't know how much more the vtec weighs but the 5th gen is pretty light. I cant say I notice a difference between the vfr and CBR as far as wind movement but they're about the same weight.

I've noticed the same. Seems the plastics catch a lot of wind and a lot of the weight is carried high in the fuel tank.

My Magna on the other hand, could care less about crosswind. Weight down low, and I think she weighs a little less than the VFR.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, skant153 said:

What's the versys weigh? The posture of it seems like it'd be the opposite. I don't know how much more the vtec weighs but the 5th gen is pretty light. I cant say I notice a difference between the vfr and CBR as far as wind movement but they're about the same weight.

Well the Versys with luggage weighs just under 500lbs and much like the VFR the weight is up high.  As jstehman posted above it seems the fairing catch much of wind whereas the Versys has a half fairing so not so sail-like.  Anyway, I was just surprised because before I bought the bike I read so many reviews stating how planted it was on the highway, usually a positive spin on it's weight which according to the internet is 538lbs curb weight, I'm assuming that's without luggage.

• Member Contributer

Several times I've ridden fifth gens in strong cross winds. To counteract I've had to lean off so far I could barely reach the opposit clipon. I'd conclud fifth gens have a very high sail area.

One time riding during harvest time east-bound on I-90 with 30+ mph south wind I had to "take a rest" by diverting to north-bound roads. I was engulfed by a corn husk blizzard while riding north of corn harvesting on the south side of the freeway while east-bound. All of these instances I was hanging off the most I'd ever done. As a matter of fact several west-bound truckers gave me a thumbs up I presume for sticking it out despite the crosswind. While I weigh less than 140 lb the machine was fully loaded with 41L Givi hard bags. That may have added to the effect. Maybe?

• Member Contributer

Hmmm... I guess the only time I found crosswinds to be much of a chore was crossing the bridge at windsurfing mecca Hood River Oregon on a day that was better for their sport than mine. Then again, I went through my rider's safety course during a summer storm that blew several of the bikes over. I tend to avoid riding in nasty weather, but that's entirely about comfort.

Archived