Hello from the Mile High City!

Nice looking bike.  I've discovered that the Denver area (Denver-Colorado Springs-Boulder-Fort Collins-Greely) is a great place to find low mileage VFR800s for sale. 

When I decided to buy a VFR I spent some time looking at all the VFRs for sale here in the Denver area, lots of very nice "adult-owned", always-garaged, well maintained bikes to choose from around here.  So far I've purchased two of my favorite VFR flavor, which is the 5th Gen VFR800: My '99 5th Gen came to me with 19,000 miles on it and my '01 5th Gen came with less than 12,000 miles.

Since the 5th Gens are now 20 year-old bikes I gave the various systems on both of the bikes a thorough going-over.  https://vfrworld.com/threads/refurbishing-my-99-5th-gen.52488/

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum. You obviously have great taste in mc's.

Have you determined how much refurbishment the bike will need to bring it up to your personal standards? 

Some people have higher standards than others when it comes to riding an older bike (15 years is "older" in both motorcycle and dog years) with a mostly unknown-to-you history of maintenance and upkeep.  I live at the "highly picky" end of that spectrum, just can't bring myself to ride a motorcycle without knowing for certain as much as I can about its maintenance status.

Let us know what your to-do list is.

• Member Contributer

Ah... the White Viffer! I own its brother, though mine has a windscreen...

These bikes are quite reliable, but they do have a handful of things that they have issues with. Probably the single most vulnerable thing is the charging system. My "first thing" advice for the new owner of a used VFR is to pop the fairings off and give a visual inspection of your electrical connectors, looking for signs of heat. If everything looks good, take the opportunity to install a voltmeter and save yourself some stress later...

Archived