Another 1990 VFR750 Lives

Well after nearly 2 1/2 years I finally put the final touches on my VFR750. I have waiting since 1990 to own one of these pups and today is the day she is ready for the road

Being in Canada there were not that many sold and fewer survived in good shape. I purchased mine 2.5 years ago and being from a province that does not have a safety inspection program I

went through the whole bike to check and upgrade any issues

Forks rebuilt

Front brakes redone with new pads, fluid etc

New tapered steering head bearings

Rear brakes redone with new pads, fluid etc

Clutch flushed with new fluid

New plugs

Engine coolant replaced

New thermostat with new rubber hoses

Upgraded the regulator with a Roadstercycle FH020AA Regulator, bypassed the old regulator plugs and wired into stator as close as possible, ( now 14.4 volts at battery ) and the new regulator has no heat

where as the old regulator you could hardly touch

Rebuilt the fried starter relay wiring

The carbs were completely stripped with new gaskets, o rings, fuel lines etc etc,

Shimmed the carbs for a little richer mix

The bike had an aftermarket seat cowl and I was lucky enough to find a as new one sitting on a shelf

As you may have noticed the side stand cover is missing but I am in the process of repairing the screw mounts and she will be 100%

IMG_1743.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

• Member Contributer

That is a very tidy looking '90. Not sure if they are currently available but the '94-'97 VFR750F rear turn signals fit the '90-'93. The replace the two red lenses either side of the brake light and let you eliminate the stubby oe units. They are p/n 33606-MZ7-671 & 33656-MZ7-671.

Here's what my '92 looked like so equipped.

92_VFR750_tail.jpg

• Member Contributer

Gorgeous. I just got my '93 on the road after 4+ years. It's a lot rougher but you can feel what a great bike these are. The Yosh pipe sounds incredible too, congrats.

• Member Contributer

Wow! That 3rd gen is fantastic! Looks new like off the dealer show room floor...

• Member Contributer

Congratulations...and done in time for some great summer rides in your part of the world. I’m hope you’ll have a few travel adventures to report.

Thanks especially for your design solution of the electrical system upgrade. You do really good work.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, there are times I wish I lived in the U.S. I think I could use some ones expertise like squirrelman#1 in carb building or buy another set, between the Canadian exchange rate of 35% and the high shipping costs to another county it is hard to purchase state side.

I just got my 1990 VFR750 on the road after 2.5 years and just had the carbs cleaned and synced. I know it has been a long time since I rode a bike but the carbs have to be off. The other day I started it up cold with out any choke , it fired right up and it idled for as long as I wanted, but at times if I tried to bring her off idle it felt and sounded like she was stumbling, after the revs passed 2 grand she would rev to the heavens.
Once she was really warmed up If I held her at say 5 grand than let go of the throttle ( or rotated it closed ) she would drop her revs until roughly 3 grand and then she would hang there for a few seconds before she settled down to a idle. In the past week I have driven it roughly 60 miles and the fuel consumption seems high. At this point I guess I will have to pull the carbs and see if there is something out of place or not hooked up right from the carb rebuild and if everything is ok there start going through the carbs.
I should noted that the bike has a full Yosh exhaust with a K&N air filter, the jets in the carbs are marked as stock sizes, there is a thin washer under the main jet needle ( I guess to help with the installed pipe). I wonder if the main jets are truly stock, I have heard of guys drilling out the stock jets, if this is something I should check what is the best way?

IMG_0474.JPG

you're going to need some plug color inspections to dial in carb jetting adjustments, so start with a fresh set of plugs.  read an instruction sheet furnished with a dynojet kit to refine your tuning.

Archived