Bad fuel pump replaced with a different fuel pump, but fuel leaking around seal

darkshad

Hi all.

I’m trying to get my motorcycle back on the road (turns out I had a bad fuel pump and ECM) and got a replacement fuel pump but am having problems with gas leaking around the fuel pump seal.  I got a brand new fuel pump gasket, applied gasket dressing/sealant (what I used - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VIGCJW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to the gasket, torqued the fuel pump mounting nuts to 9 lbf/ft (as per the manual), let the sealant dry over-night, and came back the next morning and turned the gas tank over and fuel was leaking out around the seal of the fuel pump.  I’m trying to figure out what I did wrong and/or what else I should try. 

• Member Contributer

The pumps are very difficult to get out/in and I've heard of people accidentally bending the lip very slightly and causing a leak. It's the big bundle of "steel wool" that is wrapped up around the fuel return port that is the hard part.

Not sure how to solve it. Maybe take it out again, clean off the sealant and try to find where it's bent. Did you tighten the nuts in a crisscross pattern? I haven't tried to torque them, I just snug them up then tighten with a very small ratchet crisscross like a car wheel.

I've never used any sealant on the gasket.

hey - thanks for your response.  Yah, I tightened the nuts in a crisscross pattern.  Don't think the fuel lip was bent, but didn't look at it terribly closely.  Going to give it one more try and then if still have issues, will take it to a motorcycle shop and hopefully they can get it fixed.  

• Member Contributer

Is it possible you over tightened it? I've never had mine apart, but I'm betting that would be super easy to tighten to the point where you create a bit of warping. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

So I don't know if I did it or if it was like that already, but there was a bit of warping.  I took some pliers and removed the small bend.  Used some different gasket sealant stuff.  Tomorrow should know if my fix did the trick or not.

Thanks for your response.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, darkshad said:

Hi.

So I don't know if I did it or if it was like that already, but there was a bit of warping.  I took some pliers and removed the small bend.  Used some different gasket sealant stuff.  Tomorrow should know if my fix did the trick or not.

Thanks for your response.

:lurk:I hope you give us an update on your results.

Alright.  It's been 24 hours and there is no sign of gas leak around the fuel tank/fuel pump, so think I have the issue resolved.

What I did:

I noticed there was a bit of warping around the opening for the fuel pump on the gas tank.  Used a pair of small pliers and carefully tried to level the two spots that were warped.

Also, I bought this stuff called "Seal-All" which acts as glue and sealant and is not affected by gas, oil, alcohol, water, and most solvents.

https://www.amazon.com/Seal-All-380112-Contact-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B008VK0JS4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=seal-all&qid=1565196380&s=gateway&sr=8-3

I used a new fuel pump gasket and used a bunch of the Seal-All around where the gasket meets the fuel pump and as well as around the lip of the opening where the fuel pump connects to the gas tank.  I also tightened the bolts to 9 n/m, let the sealant set for 15 min and then tightened the bolts again.

I let it set for 48 hours (24 is probably enough) and then tested to make sure gas wasn't leaking.

Pretty happy with the Seal-All stuff.

Archived