Will my 1992 vfr750f accommodate a 180 rear wheel

Siborg

Question

More advice required please learned gentleman.

So my tyres are well and truly done.

Looking at tyres online and the choice of 170 rears is a bit thin but loads of choice for 180. My bike is a 92 with the 8 spoke rear wheel. My question is will my bike take a 180 rear with no interference issues. Thanks in advance. 

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

The only place I can think of where you might have a problem with fitting a 180 to an RC36-I is Germany, where every replacement part has to be approved.  They have a list, and if your bike isn't on it, the tyre is illegal...

But they fit fine, and FYI, Honda fit 180s on the RC46, which has the same size rear wheel as the RC36-I.

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

Once during a trip I had to replace my '91 VFR's rear tire. The shop had no 170/60 but did have a 18/55, and the Dunlop fitment guide indicated their D204 180/55 was the alternative size for the VFR.

What is confuses folk is that the 3rd/4th gen are both were equipped with the same size tire, but on two different wheel widths. And that the VFR800 has the same width wheel as the 3rd gen, but is equipped with a wider tire.

As John says, barring any gov't regulation prohibiting a different size than original, there is no reason not to equip a 3rd gen VFR750 with a 180/55 tire.

Might I recommend a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 5?

Archived