Taller Windshield

austinaw91

I have a 2001 5th gen with the stock windshield. I will be putting Helibars on it soon and already feel that a taller windshield would be more comfortable with stock bars but probably even more so with Helibars. 

Can anyone provide some pictures of some options and opinions on what they have done for great wind protection and comfort but ideally not making it look like Gold Wing.

Thanks!

IMG_1091.JPG

• Member Contributer

Depending on your height and your helmet choice, you might try it with just the bars first. I converted my 6th gen to standard bars and at 6'2", I'm just at the edge of putting my helmet above all the turbulence. If I sit up with good posture, it's all quiet, clean air (good incentive...), but the windshield blocks the airflow on my chest... or I can hunker down to eliminate the drag if I want some speed. I'm actually thinking about bars with a touch more pull-back, just to make it less of a stretch.

Different bike, different rider... YMMV, but I'd try it out before throwing money at it.

I could not find a taller windshield... Not sure they make them anywhere for 5th gen any more... had to go with the little add-on wing at the top of the windshield... worked perfectly for me... but is not as nice looking as a full windshield... If you find one let me know too...

IMG_0257_(1).JPG

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, kenbrough said:

I could not find a taller windshield... Not sure they make them anywhere for 5th gen any more... 

They are still made and available from most aftermarket windscreen brands - Zero Gravity, Givi, MRA.... 

Not sure where you looked but revzilla has some options - https://www.revzilla.com/parts/1998-honda-vfr800-interceptor#page=1&sort=featured&limit=96&facets[]=2403&price=&price_min=1&price_max=1549&is_new=false&is_sale=false&is_made_in_usa=false&has_video=false&is_holiday=false&is_blemished=false

MRA - https://www.mrashop.de/com/model-based-products/honda/vfr-800/bj-98-01/

PUIG - https://puigusa.com/en/tuning-motos/windscreens-for-fairing-bikes/racing-screen?bike=5962

edit - Powerbronze also makes a taller windscreen in what appears to be a large variety of tints/colors - https://www.powerbronze.co.uk/honda-vfr800f-98-01-420-h117.html

• Member Contributer

I have the Zero Gravity sport touring screen on one of my bikes. I'm 6'1", and have 1" risers on the bars. Works well for me though it can be a bit noisy sometimes. I think that has more to do with Shoei helmets liking clean airflow.

• Member Contributer

Just a thought, but you might try a shorter windshield instead. I bought an aftermarket shield, so I wouldn't ruin my OEM if it

didn't work, and cut it way down, about to the fairing. I love it, it puts smoother air right at the helmet and cuts the noise

considerably, and puts a little more air on my chest for highway riding lift.

Just a thought.

• Member Contributer

I have has great luck with the Givi D200S. At 5 ft 7 in I'm likely smaller than average. When "riding tall (sitting up) the wind stream hits my helmet just above the chin bar. Keeping the wind stream above the base of the helmet is important for a quiet ride.

Before I bought one I figured it woud cut my gas mileage by increasing the frontal area. However just the opposit happened. When I crouch behind the windscreen, eyes just looking over the top, it greatly reduces the wind resistence; if I do not backoff the throttle the bike's speed increases about 10%. I figure the windscreen replaces the "aerodynamic brick" my shoulders present to the air stream. And when I do it "all day long" my gas mileage increases by 10+%. 

It does make for a less cool ride in the summer but warmer when it cold and drier when it's raining. I have changed it out for the stock screen when I'm going somewhere hot.

As always: YMMV

Archived