Just picked up a mint RC36 tonight and something went wrong on the way home

• Member Contributer

+1 on new tires. I wouldn’t make too many changes just yet before replacing them. Also, checking fork oil fluid levels could help down the road - no not much adjustment but oil level and weight plus new springs can be a cheap fix for tired twenty year old bikes. 

• Member Contributer

+1 on the fork oil... I would change it rather than topping off, it is likely 28 years old!

Get new tires and you will feel a big difference. Yours are waaaay outside the service limit for m/c tires unless they were changed in the past 5 years.

Depending on your size/weight you may want to install springs while changing the oil.  Have you checked static and rider sag heights?

So I brought the tire pressure up to 35 front and 38-40 rear and went for a little rip around mulholland. So much better, like a lot better. Feels way more connected and not sluggish. The limitations are the tires now. Trying to decide which ones to get. I was thinking Angel GTs but I think I want to go sportier. Anyone try the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II on their VFR?

Gonna rebuild the forks soon too. Also needs pads. Under hard braking I can feel the pads just falling apart, I assume they are the original ones. Everyone seems to think EBC HH are the way to go, so I guess I get those. 

• Member Contributer

Why not put SuperCorsas on? :goofy:

The Angel GT's are very very capable.  I'd hazard a guess and say that your suspension will be your biggest concern...

And don't do a Stoner-Rossi ok?

Went on a ride through the crest today and just that tiny bit of a drop on the forks made a massive difference. Its way better. I could ride another gear higher. The old tires are really feeling the wear. The front used up a bunch of rubber today. Went from a good amount to on the wear bar. So looks like Ill have to order tires this weekend. 

It handles not to bad for a fat pig with terrible suspension. 

• Member Contributer
On 8/14/2019 at 12:48 AM, Rush2112 said:

Put new tires on it and raise the fork tubes in the triple tree (lower the front) and it will ride and turn much better... and it will stay stock 😉

I’m glad the fork tube adjustment is working well for you... it really improves Handling on most of our bikes... :fing02::beer:

• Member Contributer

The OEM position should have the groove (and ring) almost invisible.  That picture's about 5mm up from stock.

Ciao,

JZH

Archived