New chain for 5th gen

Regarding oil filters, you can run auto oil filters, good quality for $4 or so.  Mazda Miata fitment works. 

WalMart SuperTech ST6607 ; supposed to be pretty good.  Might be what's on my VFR right now.  It still runs.

Motorcraft FL-821 ; I have run dozens of Motorcraft filters with no issues.

Purolator Pure One L14620 ; I have run many Purolators as well on my 944s and 968s.

• Member Contributer

I like the Napa Platinum filters... They're good quality and I've got a Napa auto parts very close by...

PFL41356 is the one I use for the VFR, which I think is the Napa equivalent to the Motorcraft FL-821 JoelF mentioned.

• Member Contributer

Running your prized VFR on a new chain with worn sprockets is bike abuse... always go with new unless you close your wallet with a torque wrench...

• 3 weeks later...

Bubba...there's a good reason why the Chinese don't make airplanes or elevators.  The same reasoning applies to why I wouldn't use a air filter from them on my VFR to save $30.  I'd buy a lawn sprinkler, a pair of socks, maybe some beach toys from them but avoid anything using Chinese products on anything of high value to me.

• Member Contributer

You'll find an awful lot of things are made in China nowadays and a lot of the components in stuff that is assembled elsewhere, I use Hi Flo filters. air and oil, not sure where they are made but they work fine.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, tireguy said:

Bubba...there's a good reason why the Chinese don't make airplanes or elevators.  The same reasoning applies to why I wouldn't use a air filter from them on my VFR to save $30.  I'd buy a lawn sprinkler, a pair of socks, maybe some beach toys from them but avoid anything using Chinese products on anything of high value to me.

As a matter of fact, they do make planes and lifts. 

Passenger and fighter jets, as well as developing stealth technology and becoming world leaders in AI. 

They also make most of the worlds high end electronics. 

But I admit they also make a lot of cheap rubbish. 

Keep in mind that Boeing make planes, specially the new 737 Max that has been grounded for months because they don’t work and fall out of the sky. 

I wouldn’t buy an unbranded chain, but would buy a branded chain made in a China. It’s not rocket science. 

• Member Contributer

What's the thinking on gearing? or is it best to stick with stock? I'm looking now for a chain and sprocket kit, trying to find one with the rubber dampened front sprocket, is it a 530 chain I'm after?

I went down a tooth in front (6th gen stock front sprocket) because I have to do a lot of low-speed maneuvering around home and work.  I think I prefer this gearing though I have not done any long highway trips with it.  The speedo / odo are off a fair bit now.  When this setup is worn out I might consider going back to stock and just abusing the clutch a bit more, or getting a speedo healer.  If I wanted this gearing again I'd re-create it with a larger rear sprocket and stock front sprocket, and longer chain.   Everything would last longer.

Stock chain is 530, I do not think it's worth losing some width in the sprocket bearing surfaces to go to a narrower kit.

Archived