Is this thing too hot?

JimMoore

Hi Guys,

FNG here. I've had a 98 VFR800 for about a month. It seems to run a little hot, but I have nothing to compare it to. It's been warm here (North Florida) and the temperature is always over 200, and frequently in the 220s. Today, after some shenanigans I was surprised to see the temp at 233. Those numbers seem kinda high to me. Yes? No?

As a note, the fan was on and the reservoir is full.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Moore

That is fairly normal considering how warm it must be in north Florida.  Once it gets over 245 I'd consider shutting it off, but below that the bike is just fine.  As someone said in another thread (or forum maybe): if the 5th and 6th gens had an analog temp gauge like the earlier VFRs, then none of us would even be aware of the "issue" anyway.  We just get freaked out by the number.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, comradeQuestion said:

That is fairly normal considering how warm it must be in north Florida.  Once it gets over 245 I'd consider shutting it off, but below that the bike is just fine.  As someone said in another thread (or forum maybe): if the 5th and 6th gens had an analog temp gauge like the earlier VFRs, then none of us would even be aware of the "issue" anyway.  We just get freaked out by the number.

That was probably me.

That being said, I did live in South Fla for a while and if you are seeing 200+ what happens in top gear at a steady (legal) speed with clean air in front of you? Should be able to run at 186 or thereabouts at highway speed in 6th without anything in front of you.

• Member Contributer

Jim, 

I can't speak to normal operating temps in FL, but if the history and service life of your thermostat in unknown or questionable I'd suspect that it might not be opening all the way. When I bought my bike it was just the reverse, the tstat had failed open and was resulting in cooler than normal operating temps at speed and slower rises in traffic, at stops, etc. 

• Member Contributer

My gen 5 runs between 86c and about 98c under nearly all seasons and riding conditions. I'm based north of Sydney Aus where it gets hot in summer. I have also riden the bike well loaded to Cairns. It is a very rare event that the fan comes on except in traffic.

I suspect the thermostat on my bike has never been changed. I recently bought a spare one and housing from Honda as well as some cooling system elbow o rings. The thermostat is on my to do list next time I get into it.

My 2000 seems to run up to the high 220's (and gone low 230's) when it's 95 degrees outside and I'm in stop and go traffic.  Hit the highway with traffic and it floats in the 190's when it's that hot out.  When it's in the 80's or cooler it tends to run closer to 180-200 at speed and in traffic, respectively.  I did a full system flush last year and added Red Line Water Wetter at the time, so I'm not sure if that really helps or not.

15 hours ago, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

That was probably me.

That being said, I did live in South Fla for a while and if you are seeing 200+ what happens in top gear at a steady (legal) speed with clean air in front of you? Should be able to run at 186 or thereabouts at highway speed in 6th without anything in front of you.

I'm seeing mid-to-high 180s in clean air at speed.  It is strange how much difference it makes to be in clean air. I noticed that right away.

Thanks for the info, guys. It sounds like I'm in the ballpark.

Archived