Anyone tried a Guglatech filter?

Marvelicious

• Member Contributer

I'm just curious if anyone has tried these?

I like the idea of an in-tank bag pre-filter for those occasions when you just don't have the opportunity to be picky about fuel. The documentation on the site looks impressive, but it would be nice to get real world feedback. The price isn't unreasonable if it lives up to the hype. If it doesn't out-perform a basic nylon bag filter, then the price is way too high.

• Member Contributer

No, I have not tried it for I donot tend to buy fuel from this guy..   :goofy::goofy:

Morocco-and-Algeria-borde-008.jpg?width=

venezuelans-are-smuggling-petrol-to-colo

I bought fuel in some 50 countries all over the world and never suffered the problems that this product is to solve.

If LADA's can handle Estonian the fuel, so can our VFR's... 😎

IMAG4683.jpg

YMMV ofcourse

• Member Contributer

Have you had any issues with any of the fuel you've bought that would be cured with this doodad?

My thought would be unless you're going to be traveling where they suck the gasoline directly off the ground, it's just a revenue

producer for the maker. In the US/Canada, totally unnecessary.

• Member Contributer

So both of your answers are 'no' then?

I'm glad you guys have been fortunate. I haven't had any issues recently, but I have received bad fuel before. It's frustrating when it happens within a couple miles of the house, so I really wouldn't care to repeat the experience a thousand miles from home. I guess I view it as a peace of mind purchase... the motorcycle equivalent of wearing a condom.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I've had bad gas before, but it was nothing a filter like that would have prevented.

Whatever trips yer trigger, but I have better uses for $100.

• Member Contributer

Well, "bad" gasoline is generally a matter of a few things... foreign particulate (which the filter would block), water (which the filter would block), or oxidation - which causes some of the volatile compounds to form gums and varnish (which the filter would block) and also lose a bit of energy (nothing a filter can do about that last part).

I get the hesitance - fuel injected vehicles are pretty tolerant of water in fuel because of the elimination of the float bowl, the higher pressures, the steady re-circulation of the fuel, plus the VFR already has a fuel filter after the fuel pump. Still, there is regular discussion on here of having clogged fuel injectors rebuilt... a procedure that is roughly the same price as this filter.

I like the idea of a pre-filter that can be removed without tools and cleaned in the field. I don't know that it will filter any finer particles than the stock filter, but all it has to do to be worth at least some money to me is block that crap from entering the fuel pump in the first place. I was sort of considering a simple nylon bag filter for exactly that reason when I ran across this, but blocking water is a pretty big upgrade. Also, I think you would be surprised at the crud that seems to find its way out of the gasoline you buy at perfectly legit looking stores. It's a lot cheaper to remodel the store than it is to replace those old rusty fuel tanks!

Look, I'm not telling anyone else to buy one and I'm not asking if anyone thinks I need one. I'm asking if anyone else has tried one. That hundred dollar price tag is enough that I was hoping for some end user feedback. I guess I'll just have to take the plunge and provide my own.

Archived