Motorcyclist

• Member Contributer

A few minutes ago my final issue of Motorcyclist arrived. I've only been reading it for maybe 10 years, not like Cycle World, Cycle News, or, back in the day, Cycle. But I enjoyed it.

I knew it was toast, but it was kind of jarring to see:

IMG_4917.jpg

Yeah, I have two years left on my subscription (the refund will be here any minute I'm sure), but it kinda shows me, again, that Bonnier does not have a clue. It would be fun to know how many actually sent back a card to subscribe! 

The one I miss is Cycle News.

I know, they have a web site.

Just not the same.

• Member Contributer

The 5th gen was Motorcyclist's MOTY in 1998.  I have the article scanned to the archives here.  That article was what got me going on trading in my 4th gen for my now 5th gen.  I still recall the anticipation of taking it home to read that evening.  There was an excitement about it that no longer exists.  A bygone era.  :sad:

When they went to the new format, I figured it was the beginning of the end. Sad to see it end but hasn’t been great lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My last motorcycle periodical was Sport Rider way, way back in the day when Nick Ienatsch was the editor.

When they fired Nick, they lost me as a subscriber.

I am enjoying Roadracing News of late...

Brian

• Member Contributer

It basically became a rag under the new format.  I probably subscribed for 20 years.  Cycleworld is now just as bad.  I renewed to see how the new quarterly issues would be, but now I think that magazine is worthless as well.  The only magazine I still subscribe to is Roadracing World.

1 hour ago, Smack said:

My last motorcycle periodical was Sport Rider way, way back in the day when Nick Ienatsch was the editor.

Brian

Speaking of Nick, I just came across this not too long ago (in case anyone hasn't seen it):

http://ironbrothersmc.com/motors/[Sport Riding Techniques]/Sport.Riding.Techniques.pdf

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, Samuelx said:

Speaking of Nick, I just came across this not too long ago (in case anyone hasn't seen it):

http://ironbrothersmc.com/motors/[Sport Riding Techniques]/Sport.Riding.Techniques.pdf

Thank you for the link Samuelx. I've downloaded it and intend to read with relish.

I like the quarterly format of Cycle World. The have some good pictures and interesting articles. Kevin Cameron is worth the price all by himself.

I also get Motorcycle Consumer News. The US ad free magazine, not the UK thing. MCN is the best. 😀

• Member Contributer
On 7/1/2019 at 7:01 PM, Sweeper said:

When they went to the new format, I figured it was the beginning of the end. Sad to see it end but hasn’t been great lately.

So right Sweeper. The two-page spread reviewing $500 watches was probably the last straw! 

On 7/1/2019 at 5:33 PM, Cogswell said:

The 5th gen was Motorcyclist's MOTY in 1998.  I have the article scanned to the archives here.  That article was what got me going on trading in my 4th gen for my now 5th gen.  I still recall the anticipation of taking it home to read that evening.  There was an excitement about it that no longer exists.  A bygone era.  :sad:

Cogs, I agree. A few print articles led fairly quickly to a VFR purchase, see below. Now, the thrill (of a new mag) is mostly gone.

IMG_4918.jpg

IMG_4919.jpg

• Member Contributer

I agree MCN is the best of the bunch. And it is getting better all the time. Such a diverse range of articles.

I enjoyed reading all of the mc mags since I got back on to a bike 12 years ago. They each had something I found interesting. I'll be missing each of them as they ride into the sunset.

• Member Contributer
On 7/1/2019 at 10:27 PM, Smack said:

Brian

Nick is one of the best and his book sport riding techniques should be read by all motorcylists... 

BTW ---- https://www.cycleworld.com/blogs/ienatsch-tuesday/

Nick is still... THE man.... 

6 hours ago, mello dude said:

Nick is one of the best and his book sport riding techniques should be read by all motorcylists... 

BTW ---- https://www.cycleworld.com/blogs/ienatsch-tuesday/

Nick is still... THE man.... 

Nice library of articles.  With regards to the article on the importance of covering the brake(s) - for a long time now, I've been procrastinating writing an article applying OODA to motorcycle riding and covering the brake would definitely be part of minimizing the time frame of the Act portion of the loop...   

Archived