5th Gen exhaust bracket to eliminate rear pegs

Has anyone found an exhaust bracket to replace the stock footpeg exhaust mount for a 5th gen?

For reference, I am running a Staintune stainless high-pipe. I would just like to remove both rear pegs for cleaner look when cowl is installed.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

I also have a Staintune high mount and had VFRD design master Sebspeed fab me up a custom hanger. I think he made a second one for another member after mine, but I’m not sure. I can’t say he’s got time to do another, but here’s mine:

FE80CD01-396C-41A4-9833-1F4AFDCB575D.jpeg

ED802A02-1FA1-4F55-9F6E-C54D01430F26.jpeg

Above was in the middle of a major repair/ rebuild. Finished product below in Seb's driveway. I also took a spare left side passenger peg assembly and cut off the peg part under the plastic to retain the stock seat lock mechanism and hand hold for center stand use, but keep it hidden except for the helmet lock. (Was a 1000 mile ride (at the time) to Seb's, therefore no cowl cause I had a tail bag.)

(Photo credit Sebspeed)

47A153BB-0006-419D-8085-8C9BF790A013.jpeg

7 minutes ago, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

I also have a Staintune high mount and had VFRD design master Sebspeed fab me up a custom hanger. I think he made a second one for another member after mine, but I’m not sure. I can’t say he’s got time to do another, but here’s mine:

FE80CD01-396C-41A4-9833-1F4AFDCB575D.jpeg

ED802A02-1FA1-4F55-9F6E-C54D01430F26.jpeg

47A153BB-0006-419D-8085-8C9BF790A013.jpeg

@SEBSPEED, would you still be able to make this bracket? If so, PM me. Thanks!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, austinaw91 said:

Has anyone found an exhaust bracket to replace the stock footpeg exhaust mount for a 5th gen?

For reference, I am running a Staintune stainless high-pipe. I would just like to remove both rear pegs for cleaner look when cowl is installed.

Thanks!

I have a Black Widow and they use a bracket for their high-mount that is well hidden and pretty trick and simple. It is basically a piece of flat stock that mounts to the subframe and you cut a very small notch in your rear fender and tail section, there's a good pic of it here: https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/vfr800-98-03-rc46-hi-level-exhaust-silencer-kit-with-350mm-round-gp-style-carbon-fibre-silencer-22352-p.asp I bet you could fab something very similar yourself on the cheap. That, a recycled clamp, and a quick trip to the hardware store for some stainless metric bolts and you would be good to go. If you went this route you could also cut the bracket off the link pipe to clean it up a bit further. 

I like the look and have also removed my passenger peg bracket on the right side (left side is cut to keep the helmet lock, seat lock, and handle but is hidden by the tail fairing):

20180826_153955.jpg?dl=0 

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, austinaw91 said:

@adkfinn, that looks great, for sure. 

I also wonder if I could just buy another OEM right side passenger peg and grind most of it off, then sand and polish it enough to work. 

I just checked for you - I paid $13 for a used left rear passenger bracket on fleabay to chop up so I could save my factory parts. I am sure a right side bracket won't be hard to come by for testing. The part Seb made is sweet, but will likely cost you a bit more than either of the options discussed. I'd rather save the money  on a mount and buy a windowed clutch cover from Seb instead, but that is just me. 

17 minutes ago, adkfinn said:

I just checked for you - I paid $13 for a used left rear passenger bracket on fleabay to chop up so I could save my factory parts. I am sure a right side bracket won't be hard to come by for testing. The part Seb made is sweet, but will likely cost you a bit more than either of the options discussed. I'd rather save the money  on a mount and buy a windowed clutch cover from Seb instead, but that is just me. 

A little off topic, but could you post a pic of your passenger side mods? I may do the same to go no peg, yes helmet lock.

• Member Contributer

The bolts holding the helmet lock have rounded heads, IIRC, but can be removed with vice grips. Then I replaced with normal allen head spares so I can swap it out if I want the pegs on. 

image.jpg

7 minutes ago, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

The bolts holding the helmet lock have rounded heads, IIRC, but can be removed with vice grips. Then I replaced with normal allen head spares so I can swap it out if I want the pegs on. 

image.jpg

So if I get a spare passenger left peg, I can move my helmet lock mechanism between stock and modified peg? AWESOME!

• Member Contributer

Yep, it takes a bit of doing to get both locks out the first time, but once you swap the bolts it’s a breeze. Thinking back, I believe it looks like some kind of rivet holding it in, but it’s actually a bolt. I think it’s flat and circular on the head, just need to grab it with some vice grips or similar. 

(Just don’t advertise on the internet that it only takes a 5mm allen to get it off 😄😉)

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, austinaw91 said:

A little off topic, but could you post a pic of your passenger side mods? I may do the same to go no peg, yes helmet lock.

Mine looks very similar to Kevin's, here's a shot that shows where I cut mine pretty well. One coment - if I did mine over I would cut it a little deeper on the left of this area where it meets the grab handle, but what I did works fine and hides well. EDIT - Kevin has this covered 😉

20180606_113544.jpg?dl=0

• Member Contributer

Best way to find the cut line is to stick some painters or masking tape on it, put the tail back on and draw a line at the bottom of the fairing. Then cut above the line and none of it will be visible.

I do like the idea of trimming and cleaning up the right side peg. That's the beauty of the Staintune though, uses the stock mounting location.

Both my brackets are still whole and removed.  High mount TBR is mounted with small hidden bracket and notched fairing.   I used a choke cable to release the rear Sargent seat and don't have a need for a helmet lock.   

You can get this bracket from Delkevic shown below that works with a high mount (right side).  This is what I run.  I did some disk grinder work on my left passenger assembly to get rid of the foot peg mount but retained full functionality of helmet lock and seat release.

Muffler Hanger for Hi Mount.jpg

• Member Contributer

I’m jumping in without reading entire thread, so apologies if this has been covered.

Check in with Sebspeed about the simple stainless Y bracket he builds to replace right side passenger rearset.

429FD69F-6C8F-402B-B1CC-0594E45AD8D9.thumb.jpeg.4f8808d37afe04d49c711ba32fb179e8.jpeg

9BF28389-EC2C-4611-94FA-E2256E92D868.thumb.jpeg.0d39d6861d72894809200d07a4f8576f.jpeg

2941C67E-04D6-4EFA-9475-EEA80F0C49FB.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I used a spare left peg from ebay and just hacked the whole front off so it only mounts with one bolt. Wanted to keep the helmet lock/seat release and my charging port.

20190629_182858.jpg.fd3723d2f827ab1d8a7e4f6081f5c82b.jpg

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

I’m jumping in without reading entire thread, so apologies if this has been covered.

Check in with Sebspeed about the simple stainless Y bracket he builds to replace right side passenger rearset.

429FD69F-6C8F-402B-B1CC-0594E45AD8D9.thumb.jpeg.4f8808d37afe04d49c711ba32fb179e8.jpeg

9BF28389-EC2C-4611-94FA-E2256E92D868.thumb.jpeg.0d39d6861d72894809200d07a4f8576f.jpeg

2941C67E-04D6-4EFA-9475-EEA80F0C49FB.jpeg

Ah, you’re the second one. 😎

• Member Contributer

And then there were three

3DCD5583-0BEF-4E76-A7B3-94CCB32038A6.jpeg

B937D0CC-D5DA-4476-9A37-56987F5A85D0.jpeg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

3DCD5583-0BEF-4E76-A7B3-94CCB32038A6.jpeg

B937D0CC-D5DA-4476-9A37-56987F5A85D0.jpeg

Hey #3, nice touch painting the lock mechanism black.

On 7/2/2019 at 4:49 AM, Mikey said:

Genesis fan? Or do you have triplets? 😀

OK, I get it, 3 of those hangers.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased two used rear pegs off of eBay and will begin the process of hacking left side to allow grabbing for centerstand as well as helmet lock and right side will be hacked off to become a makeshift custom exhaust hanger. I will sand them up and paint them in some VHT aluminum silver and post pics when complete. 

Thanks for all the help!

Archived