Hello From Scotland

parson

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Welcome to the asylum parson.You obviously have excellent taste in mc's. And it looks like you are useing it for one of the best activities: motorcycle camping - one my favorite things to do with these fabulous machines.

Safe riding (and camping).

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD pal :beer:

Having lived in Scotland 4 years I can confirm it is pure magic for riding a motorcycle. Even the polis on the A9 near Auchtermuchty we friendly while writing the SP30... 

You live near Glengoyne, a fine wee dram for sure....

• Member Contributer

Welcome.

Yes, some of the best biking roads in the world.....when the weather is nice. 😉

welcome. the difference in notes was the first thing i noticed when hopping on the vfr. really cool rumble.

i have a question about that though. mine also has a pretty loud whine. i'll try to get a video with good sound. my rr has a similar noise but much quieter. i'm wondering if it should be so loud, kind of takes away from the majesty of the rumble.

edit: i've uploaded a video. does this sound normal? you can also see how quickly the rpms drop with no load. it seems quick to me.

• Member Contributer

It sounds like it needs a fruity aftermarket exhaust to me...

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

That whinny supercharger-like sound is the gear-driven cams (GDC) melody. The 1998 - 2001 VFR800fi is the only one with GDCs and fuel injection. That's what makes them the Best Generation. And because of that sound, relatively quiet at idle but quite ear-piercing sound under load above ~ 6,000 RPM. I my humble opinion, if you value your hearing, earplugs and a quiet helmet are mandatory. (The word I use most now is: "WHAT?"):sad:

On the one hand you could watch that short video clip and say, "well, these engines don't have a lot of rotating mass so they will naturally gain and drop revs really quickly"

But on the other hand, it does seem that your engine drops revs more quickly than I remember either of my two 5th Gens.  Makes me wonder if something is dragging on/against the engine, like maybe something is wrong with the clutch?  You could do a comparison between how the bike revs with the clutch out (in neutral) and with the clutch held "in".

Or maybe the engine oil is overfilled?  If the engine oil is overfilled and the crankshaft is slapping in the oil that would put a "braking" action on the engine.

Tomorrow I'll make a short cellphone video of my 5th Gen revving in a similar way to what you did in your video, so you can compare them. 

On the one hand you could watch that short video clip and say, "well, these engines don't have a lot of rotating mass so they will naturally gain and drop revs really quickly"

But on the other hand, it does seem that your engine drops revs more quickly than I remember either of my two 5th Gens.  Makes me wonder if something is dragging on/against the engine, like maybe something is wrong with the clutch?  You could do a comparison between how the bike revs with the clutch out (in neutral) and with the clutch held "in".

Or maybe the engine oil is overfilled?  If the engine oil is overfilled and the crankshaft is slapping in the oil that would put a "braking" action on the engine.

Tomorrow I'll make a short cellphone video of my 5th Gen revving in a similar way to what you did in your video, so you can compare them. 

A little off-topic here, but what's going on with your bike's handlebar risers?  It looks like your fork tubes are set way low, to the point that only the bottoms of the handlebar riser clamps are only gripping the fork tubes.  Seems kinda sketchy.

6 hours ago, GreginDenver said:

A little off-topic here, but what's going on with your bike's handlebar risers?  It looks like your fork tubes are set way low, to the point that only the bottoms of the handlebar riser clamps are only gripping the fork tubes.  Seems kinda sketchy.

The previous owner wanted to sit way upright. He added 1" over stock risers and then did exactly as you said. I switched back to stock yesterday and lowered the triple clamp

20190721_064054.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived