Best places for parts to bring my old girl back to life

• Member Contributer

I've been a reaaaaallllyyyy long time infrequent lurker. I bought my 1996 in 2005(and joined VFRD), rode her for a while and had a few issues that I was going to get to. Well, I never got to it. Life always seemed to get in the way. Here I am now though, in need of some direction from you more experienced folks.

There are a number of things that need replacement, most of which from sitting so long, and I'm curious as to the best place to get them.

One of the main issues are the right side fairings, the lower black and red right above it. From what I remember, no one makes them anymore, OEM or aftermarket, and you have to find them used? Anyone have them here?

The other bigger issue is the starter is toast. I see a huge price disparity between aftermarket and OEM. Aftermarket is about $100 vs $400 for Honda. Why such a big difference? Does anyone have experience with aftermarket starters?

The list of stuff I need is probably fairly common, with maybe the exception of the throttle tube. I haven't found it on a parts breakdown.

But any recommendations for the following items would be appreciated -

• Chain
  • Fork Seals
  • Brake pads front and rear
  • Is there a caliper rebuild kit?
  • Air Filter

As is usually the case, budget is a bit of an issue, and I'd rather not spend so much on the starter, which I hadn't expected to have to replace with this project.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Sounds like you are in the same boat as I am with my 94 that has been dead solid reliable, just needs the "fair wear and tear" stuff replaced. Generally same issues.

I have found OEM stuff at the online mega-parts sites, but quality mechanical parts (fork kits, chain/sprocket, clutch slave cylinder, etc).

I scan Ebay but am not educated enough to know quality vs crap new and which used parts are worth the risk. Frankly, I don't trust myself to do the work anyway.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Regarding your starter: Look around your area for an "old school" starter shop. I've worked on a lot of 'older stuff' (bike and cars) and have had great luck getting starters rebuilt by a good shop. 

From my own experience, rebuilding almost everything on 2 bikes over the last 9 years (1992 Bandit 400 and a 1993 VFR 750 - visible on the forum), let me recommend this:

Caliper rebuild kit + fork seals:
Get Honda items, way better the generic replacements. I tried replacements but they don't last the same.
For caliper rebuilt - get the seals from Honda and find some red grease, 2000 sandpaper for the pistons and new fluid.

Brake pads front and rear
Go to Brembo website to find the proper reference and then buy them online.

From my record, go for 07HO30.SA for the front. SA is code for red pads which have a very good feeling for road use. I even run them on my Bandit 400 I made 2 track days with.

Air Filter
Find some HIFLO online. Equivalent to OEM but should be cheaper. 

I live in France so I try to source from Europe. Only from US when I find no replacement because shipping and custom tax make it no cheap. 

For Honda part, I use CMS and I am sure I already say the equivalent for US with way lower prices. 

For good online parts store located in the US, I am sure US based members can share their view.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

Welcome back. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

For oem parts, I have good luck with https://www.discounthondaparts.com/

Tires, chains, sprockets, aftermarket stuff https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/ don't be put off by the name, they have the best selection and prices on MC tires.

For discontinued, NOS or used parts https://www.davidsilverspares.com/ Pretty good selection. I used their parent company when I lived in England a few years back to get some things for my 91 VFR that I had there. If the US shop doesn't have what you need they can check with the UK store as they have a larger inventory. I also have used this company for some stuff, but they are more expensive https://www.cmsnl.com/

As far as fairings go, you can try these guys if you cannot find anything  e-bay. I have not used them. http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/VFR7501994-97.htm

I would confirm that it is your starter that is the issue. If its sounds like a bunch of ball bearings in a blender when you hit the button, its your starter clutch. Both your starter and starter clutch are rebuildable, and you can save some money. There are a number of tutorials on youtube for both.  As Rangemaster noted, you can also have a shop do it. I had to have a shop do my 83VF750 a few years back when I was leaving the next morning at 4 am to head to NC. They charged me $100.

Not sure about replacement throttle tubes.

Buy good chain like RK, D.I.D., or EK, stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff.

Use oem fork seals and really clean and polish the tubes.

I prefer Carbon/Kevlar pad personally. If in doubt use oem.

I would take the calipers apart and clean them really well. I use an Ultrasonic cleaner then dry the seals and soak them in brake fluid and reuse them. Obviously replace if you want to.

I have a K&N filter on all my bikes but one, the 97, and its getting one this year. HiFlow is good also. Look on ebay, they pop up from time to time at a lot less than retail.

You didn't mention tires. Have a look at the date code,https://www.utires.com/articles/read-date-code-motorcycle-tires/ they may look fine but are probably pretty hard by now. Nothing nicer than a new pair of radials on a VFR.

Hope this is of some help, good luck.

Michael

+1 definitely on the tyre(s). Anything older than 5 years old (from manufacturing date) is a no brainer.

Archived