1995 VFR750

Hello,

Brand new to forum.  My 95 VFR has been sitting for seven years, and I'm trying to get her running again.  Parked after having problems after I put in fuel with ethanol.  Compression good, spark good.  I'm testing various components, starting with the fuel pump.  The battery is disconnected and I jumped the terminals on the connector that leads to the fuel pump with a 12V source (known to be good).  No noise from the fuel pump.  I assume that I should be getting some noise from the pump when I jump it.  Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Bill Schroeder (1970 Suzuki T125II Stinger, 1973 Yamaha RD350, 1974 Yamaha RD350,  (2) 1976 Yamaha RD400, 1995 Honda VFR 750F)

• Member Contributer

Its kinda hard to describe, but the fuel pump does not run continously. It pulses as the carb bowls empty. According to the service manual it should put out about 30 oz/min.

If you haven't downloaded the service manual, I highly recommend that you do, it is in the Downloads section.

I  have the service manual (paper!).  It has information about checking the fuel pump relay, but not much about the fuel pump.  It says to use a jumper wire on the relay (I suppose to let current to the pump) and then measure the ouput (like you said, about 30 oz per minute).  But it doesn't say if the pump should run if I connect the battery directly to the fuel pump connectors.  I have the battery out of the bike and the tank off, along with several of the underseat wiring connectors undone to remove the fairings.  I ordered a pump off of EBay, so when that one arrives I'll be able to see if the pump should make noise when the 12 volts are supplied directly through the pump connectors, and not through the relay.  Thanks for the reply.

• Member Contributer

As the pump reaches it top strole, it cause to points to touch and cause a short, thus allowing the plunger to fall down.  This repeats and repeats.

These points wear and can start to fuse.... causing havoc.  Once you blow the fuse for the pump it also kills ignition, starter running off the same circuit.  How I know?

You already ordered a new pump so open up the OEM and see what you find.

The new pump should be here in a few days.  I'll test it out and then open up the original and take a look inside.  Will report what I find.

Thank You.

7 hours ago, bowbridge said:

The new pump should be here in a few days.  I'll test it out and then open up the original and take a look inside.  Will report what I find.

Thank You.

i the new pump is a cheepo from china, good luck.  it won't last long.

using fine sandpaper on the points is one way to revive a pump that's been sitting.

Yeah, it probably is for what I paid for it.  Still, if I can get the bike running, I'll be happy and then if the pump fails, I'll look for a better one.  Once the new one comes, I'll open the old one and take a look at the points.

I had bought a used set of 1995 carbs a few years back to keep as a spare, but when I was looking at them today,  they must be a California set.  There are some extra hoses coming out of the carbs that my 49 state model doesn't have.  The holes on my carbs are blanked out (or never drilled for the hoses).

The Ebay fuel pump came today and I hooked it to my 12V bench power supply.  Nothing, no pumping noise.  I figured there was little chance that both fuel pumps were bad, so I hooked the Ebay pump up to a Honda Fit car battery.  Got my "brapping" noise!  Then hooked the car battery to the OEM one still on the bike; got my "brapping" noise.  I must have had something messed up with the leads or settings from the bench power supply.  Connected the multimeter in series with the battery and the pump and got a reading of 1.35 amps (this was with a dry pump, for about 3 seconds), in case anyone is interested.  Went back to the bench power supply, being more careful with the settings and connections and this time it worked OK.  Current output between 1.20 and 1.40 amps at 12 Volts.

I'll take the carbs off tomorrow and see how they look.  The boots holding the carbs to the block look like they are held by a single screw on the boot clamp.  All of them look easy to get to, except #3.

• Member Contributer

Fuel cut out relay ok?

Your VFR will run fine w/o a fuel pump (just hook up the hoses), just make sure the tank is pretty full for starters.....

Archived