Doing “the Drill” on my “new” 5th gen.

Bubba5000

Voltage is swinging around at RPM above Idle. Harness leads test good all around. Regulator tests bad. ‘Out of range” impedance all 12 ways. Ordered new regulator. That should do it, right? 👌🤞👀🤓

• Member Contributer

You tested the stator leads for grounding to the frame? They should not. Is that what you meant by Harness leads test good all around?

Have the battery load tested at a parts store?

Battery is essentially new, charged to full easily, and tests as good.  Tested the bike’s voltage output at idle, then higher RPM, the leads going into the regulator connector plug, and the regulator itself. On the leads, the power wires had power, the control wire had battery power when the key was on, etc. The regulator definitely tested bad, though, so it is absolutely a problem.  

Thinking (hoping?) it’s the only issue. I didn’t test the stator because I’m Getting plenty of voltage (around 14)at idle, and it only starts to jump around wildly when revved past 3-4K, which is indicative of a bad regulator, and the regulator in fact tested bad, so that should be fairly conclusive, right?

• Member Contributer

My 2 cents... Do yourself a favor and send that r/r back and order a mosfet system from Roadstercycle. Normally you can't go wrong with OEM parts, but motorcycle charging systems have been a bit behind technology over all and it represents the VFR's Achilles heel.

Install a mosfet r/r with dedicated leads to the battery. While you're at it, treat all the contacts with this stuff.

• Member Contributer
On 6/23/2019 at 7:44 PM, Bubba5000 said:

Voltage is swinging around at RPM above Idle. Harness leads test good all around. Regulator tests bad. ‘Out of range” impedance all 12 ways. Ordered new regulator. That should do it, right? 👌🤞👀🤓

With no numbers, I cant really reply to your post, but I will say I agree with Mavelicious dont replace with OEM and go the aftermarket R/Rs from Roadstercycle and wire direct to battery. 

- Do the full drill, gimme numbers, then the peanut gallery can advise what to do. 

Thanks for the advice. Can’t wait around for different parts, though, and already ordered the OEM R/R. I’m getting old and summer is passing me by. Want to have my ride for the 4th, y’know? Anyway, Got it today,(it’s the reworked 2.0 version that you need longer bolts to attach, and comes with an additional ground plate)  checked the diodes with a multimeter straight out of the box before install, made sure to do the stator ground and continuity test, examined all the connectors for burnt ends, etc, all was well, installed, did the full check, and she’s good to go. I’ll keep The mosfet system in mind for when the thing blows up again down the line. For now, though, I’m riding again, and that’s a damn good thing. Really appreciate the input, guys! Until next clusterfork!

• Member Contributer

A simple and cheap option would be to add a voltmeter. I'm really happy with this little guy so far. Install was a breeze - popped the trim off and drilled it with a unibit, tied the positive into a keyed 12v source (I forget which) and a ground to a nearby bolt. It's simple, it's unobtrusive and it was under 10 bucks... https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HO50AJE

1318155412_IMG_20190702_1327223.thumb.jpg.b0cb7d63cb4f495fce2cc7b8eb0fb2a3.jpg

Nice. They make one with USB ports too. That looks pretty cool. Sure, that way, I’ll know right away when the R/R fails again. Great idea. 

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, Bubba5000 said:

Nice. They make one with USB ports too. That looks pretty cool. Sure, that way, I’ll know right away when the R/R fails again. Great idea. 

I thought about that one, but I had a couple of issues with it. First, it's taller and I didn't want to have to think to carefully about location. Second, you notice it has a rubber cover? So that leads me to assume it isn't waterproof without it, which leads me to the conclusion that it's worthless in bad weather.

• Member Contributer

Agree with adding a voltmeter... There are 50 ways to do it, and there is a good thread on "show us your voltmeter install"...  I did a search but couldnt find it. 

With the OEM R/R your gonna need it...

I think I read a post somewhere about a guy who has over 100k on his VFR, was aware of the issue, had popped two r/r during the bike’s life so far, And had taken up the habit of just carrying a spare around. Of course, seems to me you’d have to make sure you carry the stock tool kit, too, and supplement it with whatever additional bits you need. I did read some posts about using a Yamaha regulator and hardwiring it in. I also read posts about how the redesigned ones, like I got, were way better than the original ones. I’ll confess that previously, I had never wrenched on anything built after 1981, and am a tiny bit nervous about doing any kind of non-conventional mods, even though I have had great luck so far with everything I have tried. I did a partial rebuild on a bank of 3 Yamaha carbs successfully on my first try with my ‘81 XS series triple. Still stunned it worked out. Went on to ride the thing for another 4 years.

• Member Contributer

The trouble with packing spares is that the r/r, stator, battery and wiring all work together. One functioning poorly puts a strain on the others.

These mods are both pretty simple ideas.

The voltmeter is two wires and one is just a ground. Tieing into a hot wire is fairly simple. They make connectors designed to splice into an existing line, though I prefer to temporarily pop a contact out of a connector, then solder and shrink tube my splice to a stock wire.

The Roadstercycle kit is pretty simple, but well thought out. In addition to the mosfet r/r being a better design overall, it adds a new heavy gauge power wire straight from the r/r to the battery. That takes battery charging duty away from the oem wiring and gives the heaviest current a clear path to the battery.

I just watched a video about that, comparing OEM to the mosfet and showing the installation “super kit” or whatever they call it. It’s pretty impressive, particularly the wiring upgrade. The voltmeter I know I can do easily. After seeing what’s involved in the hardwire of the mosfet, I’m pretty confident I can do that also. There is always a bit of reticence on my part to do a fix that I’m unfamiliar with. I sort of need to marinate on it and do research to work up my nerve. I have ZERO training and only the smallest amount of experience. Always willing to learn, though.

• Member Contributer

I get it. I've learned my mechanical skills on my own and I still occasionally have to look something up. These days it usually comes down to finding that hidden bolt...

Definitely better to be confident. Do the voltmeter sooner and plan ahead for the R/R some time when the weather isn't great. You're on the right track.

• Member Contributer

@Bubba...  also going with Marvelicious....... I imagine if I was a newbie working on bikes, it would be tough to decide to do something non-OEM... So yeah, I'm with you, its a tough slog. 

Then again you can always come here for help...Everyone here is more than willing to help, as I find out of 6 or 7 motorcycle forums I hit everyday, that this one has the most tech minded motogeek group on the planet. 

Myself, I started the wrenching journey waaaaay long ago, with a friend that had 4 car garage and cool cars and bikes, and was a neighborhood magnet for bringing over your ride for wrenching and hanging out. 

Best wishes!:beer:

Archived