Think that a VFR is too slow & heavy to have trackday fun? Think again! Nurburgring Nordschleife Honda VFR 800

RossR

• Member Contributer

The VFR was a street legal 2001 without Dual CBS and with a GPR exhaust and metal braided tubes - nothing more according to the poster.  Bridgestone BT 016 PRO tires. Almost 54,000km on the clock.  

Proves the point that the rider's skills are more important than all the power mods in the world.

I am not sure what that momentary screech is at about 4'.20''

• Member Contributer

Having rode my 5 Gen all last year at the track, I would never say that the VFR s too slow or heavy for track time. That being said, I have trimmed some weight off and have improved several aspects of the bike but ultimately, IMO, track days aren’t about being the fastest or having the lightest best setup bike, it’s for improving your riding skills and to get better acquainted with your bike.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

Having rode my 5 Gen all last year at the track, I would never say that the VFR s too slow or heavy for track time. That being said, I have trimmed some weight off and have improved several aspects of the bike but ultimately, IMO, track days aren’t about being the fastest or having the lightest best setup bike, it’s for improving your riding skills and to get better acquainted with your bike.

So true! What impressed me, apart from the riders skill, was that the bike had minimal modifications. Not even the suspension, and it had some mileage on it!

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

I'm sure none of those Porsches he passes would admit their cars are too heavy and slow...

Actually, I personally would re-frame that to "none of them would admit that they did not know how to drive their cars fast on the track"

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, RossR said:

Actually, I personally would re-frame that to "none of them would admit that they did not know how to drive their cars fast on the track"

Well... I was giving them the benefit of the doubt... Like, "there must be something wrong with your Porsche, 'cause that guy on the 20 year old sport-touring bike just walked straight past you..."

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, RossR said:

I am not sure what that momentary screech is at about 4'.20''

Knee puck or peg? There was another before about 2 minutes-something.

Did anyone clock his top speed? I saw about 235kph. About 146mph. Wasn't counting gears, so I don't know what he was in. I did 149 in 6th, but I think that 5th might be faster because you can't pull redline in 6th gear stock and I wasn't shifting at redline.

Think side rads don't work? Looked like he was up to 83c, about 181f. That's normal highway in traffic temp.

Definitely not his first rodeo, lots of track knowledge there!

• Member Contributer

Oh my... RossR ... Thank you for that.... gotta add a few laps at the Nurburgring on a 5th gen to my bucket list!!  :beer:

• Member Contributer
On 6/20/2019 at 3:54 PM, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

I passed an RC51 on the track, and I suck! Imagine how bad that dude was...LOL

That just verifies what Duc2V4 said earlier. Riding skills & get to know your bike. I see so many nouveau rich guys in my area (Calgary, oil capital of Canada) with more money than brains with both exotic cars costing 100's of thousands, and the fastest bikes available, but do you really think that they know how to drive or ride. All show and no action! A few days with Keith Code or Nick Ianatsch might help them.

On 6/20/2019 at 3:54 PM, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, BuzznerSuntrusts said:

Knee puck or peg? There was another before about 2 minutes-something.

Did anyone clock his top speed? I saw about 235kph. About 146mph. Wasn't counting gears, so I don't know what he was in. I did 149 in 6th, but I think that 5th might be faster because you can't pull redline in 6th gear stock and I wasn't shifting at redline.

Think side rads don't work? Looked like he was up to 83c, about 181f. That's normal highway in traffic temp.

Definitely not his first rodeo, lots of track knowledge there!

My guess is pegs. I noticed that too about the temperature. Back in the day this track had the reputation of being the most dangerous in the world, even when well maintained. It's here that Niki Lauda had his terrible crash.

https://www.tripsavvy.com/how-to-drive-the-nurburgring-1508346

What an inspiration to VFR800 riders!

Some of the posters Comments below the video:  

Hi Jesse. Nurburgring has been part of my life for 10 years and 279 laps but now I had to stop to go there (sigh). In any case I agree with you: VFR 800 have an exciting sound and gave me satisfactions even if it has its limits."
"alex D 6 months ago
Un très bon pilote connaissant bien le tracé peut réaliser un très beau tour sur une VFR bien équipée en pneus et freins. Elle ne donne jamais l'impression de forcer, tout se fait avec une relative douceur mais quelle efficacité pour une routière/sportive de cette époque. A very good pilot knowing the layout can make a great lap on a VFR well equipped with tires and brakes. It never gives the impression of force, everything is done with relative gentleness but how effective for a road / sports of that time.
Capirobi
I never gave the impression to force because I was afraid. In the 2016 I had an accident on Nordschleife (see "BMW K1200R on board crash"). Thank you Alex 🙂

vvertigo
What year vfr and any mods? Nice smooth view, what's it take to get on the ring?

Capirobi
The VFR was a 2001 m.y. without Dual CBS and GPR exhaust. nothing more. To get on the Ring you need to have the motorbike in order with traffic laws. Think a lot before go there and if you will decide to go, be very very careful. There is a lot of traffic even during the week and so a lot of cars that spill oil or coolant and there is also the problem of the rubber left by the cars (that became like ice when there is a bit of humidity). The new Nurburgring organization do not clean the track and you could crash even if you go slowly.

Cristian P
Whats parts modified?

Capirobi
I had a GPR exhaust, metal braided tubes and no CBS.

• Member Contributer

And here is a clip of him filmed from behind, but he doesn't say whether it is on the same day as the other ride. What a rush just to watch him. The Renault Megane Rs had a hard time keeping up with him, and that car holds a Nurburgring track record.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, HispanicSlammer said:

We got something like that in the USA its called Push mountain Arkansas lol

Hey Miguel,  you will have to arrange a group ride there someday.

• Member Contributer

Outstanding vids, both of them. Thanks for posting.

Not bad for an old Viffer!

Just goes to show you though that it's the rider, not the bike, that makes the difference.

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, Skids said:

Outstanding vids, both of them. Thanks for posting.

Not bad for an old Viffer!

Just goes to show you though that it's the rider, not the bike, that makes the difference.

Do VFR800 engines really ever get old if they have regular oil changes and are not abused? I think not!

• Member Contributer

I went there a few years ago on a euro tour & stayed in the hotel in the middle of the track. It was damp with occasional showers when we arrived so decided not to go round it. From the hotel you cloudless hear the cars sliding & some crashing at the corners closet to it, so was probably a good idea NOT to go round it. Maybe on a future date I’ll give it a whirl.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, RossR said:

Do VFR800 engines really ever get old if they have regular oil changes and are not abused? I think not!

I would say "Trigger's broom", but I reckon only a few Brits would understand. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Skid, What a perfect analogy, and I do understand it very well because it's the mentality that I have. Even if I can afford the latest and greatest things that marketing and fashion dictate I will keep on repairing the things that I feel good in,(or on in the case of the VFR) and that work perfectly well for my needs.

It speaks to the love that  VFR owners like the one's on this forum have for their bikes. For the uninitiated here is a link to an article that explains what it means.

https://strachan.blog/2016/02/18/the-paradox-of-triggers-broom/

p.s. Skids, please don't kamikaze yourself as yet. We need people like you to give us the occasional chuckle!

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I went there a few years ago on a euro tour & stayed in the hotel in the middle of the track. It was damp with occasional showers when we arrived so decided not to go round it. From the hotel you cloudless hear the cars sliding & some crashing at the corners closet to it, so was probably a good idea NOT to go round it. Maybe on a future date I’ll give it a whirl.

@timmythecop was there, did that but never got the T-shirt :goofy:

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, RossR said:

Skid, What a perfect analogy, and I do understand it very well because it's the mentality that I have. Even if I can afford the latest and greatest things that marketing and fashion dictate I will keep on repairing the things that I feel good in,(or on in the case of the VFR) and that work perfectly well for my needs.

It speaks to the love that  VFR owners like the one's on this forum have for their bikes. For the uninitiated here is a link to an article that explains what it means.

p.s. Skids, please don't kamikaze yourself as yet. We need people like you to give us the occasional chuckle!

Haha, you are too kind. That was more of a reference to my day job but I guess the inference remains the same.

Impressed you discovered Trigger's Broom. 

• Member Contributer
58 minutes ago, Skids said:

Haha, you are too kind. That was more of a reference to my day job but I guess the inference remains the same.

Impressed you discovered Trigger's Broom. 

A writer mentioned the phrase in an article that I was reading a couple of weeks ago.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, RossR said:

Thanks for the link! 

I still have the original frame, engine, and swingarm of my '99. Maybe the tail is the only original plastic, I can't recall. 

Archived