hadlebar mods

Guest motohockey

Question

Guest motohockey

I've already done the helibar thing but as I age even further the bars on the ST or big FJR look even more comfy...anyone ever done that? I guess all the various cables, switches, hydraulic lines would need a complete overhaul as well, right?

2 answers to this question

OK, so you can get a riser conversion on Ebay: 

They'll let you mount whatever you like, but you will need longer brake lines, clutch lines and throttle cables, and you may have to extend teh wiring harness, too. And if you go too high, you'll foul the fairing.

vfr00.jpg

• Member Contributer

Cheap option worked for me.

Edit: no need for longer wires. I managed to make the throttle cables and hoses work - barely - and long term replaced them. 2" longer hoses from Galfer and the throttle cable came from something else - it may have been an ST1100. I got the idea from here somewhere, and it may have been that thread above.

Edit 2: Absolutely no regrets long term. My final riding position is probably not too far from where Helibars would have come out, but I have all the options in the world now. Plus, the wider and taller posture gives you some crazy leverage if you ever really need to change direction NOW. I'm fairly sure I saved myself from eating a bumper at one point. The situation was my own stupid fault in the first place, but I managed to get myself out of it, and I don't think I would have with stock bars! Suddenly you can muscle the bike around like a really heavy dirt bike.

Archived