AS3 Mystery Silicone Hoses

TheLimey

• Member Contributer

I've been putting my bike back together after a winter rebuild, and thought I'd treat the old girl to a set of AS3 silicone hoses. It's been a complete tear-down and so I haven't had the luxury of removing one hose at a time and replacing like for like. 

I've managed to find homes for all but two of the new hoses. For anybody familiar with the AS3 kit, or the 6th gen cooling system in general; could you please help me identify the remaining two?

48059476383_5f983113e3_c.jpg

48059509237_933a91d2ab_c.jpg

It looks like the shorter of the two is a good match for the return line from the FPR to the petrol tank, but something doesn't seem right about using silicone for a fuel hose and I'm sure it's just coincidence the length and bends are near identical. 

• Member Contributer

That shorter one would fit an RC51's waterpump methink. The "exit" for when the impeller seal goes bad....  🙂

• Member Contributer

Got to agree that silicone for a fuel hose is a bad idea.  Vtec cooling system below might help.  If they are both 6mm ID then the shorter one is likely the thermostat air bleed to inside front of right rad, you can see the stub of a small hose on top of therostat dotted line to inside front of right rad. The longer one is likely the coolant overflow tank bottom to the fill port on top of right rad, marked siphon hose on the diagram.

VTEC-Cooling-system.jpg.eaf7aecb14f999653019576be7cc4bf8.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks, Mohawk. I'd previously downloaded the service manual and have been working largely from that very diagram. I've already got the two hoses you mentioned in place, so I know they're not them. I really appreciate the help, though.

• Member Contributer

Note that the 6 Gen kit also applies to the 8 Gen. Sfdownhill and I have been talking to AS3 trying to get them to separate their kits so that the 6 Gen can get a complete set. The short hose that connects the rad cap filler tube to the radiator is not in the kit but is in the 5 Gen kit. On the 8 Gen, the radiator cap goes onto the radiator directly, so we assume this is why it’s missing in the 6/8 Gen kit and that you get the two extra hoses.

As for the 5 Gen kit we have provided them with the one hose that connects to the wax unit and  one that Honda does not sell anymore and to either make this part of the 5 Gen kit or sell it in kits for 00-01 and leave it out for 98-99. Good news for 00-01 owners is the hose is being made and should be available soon.

• Member Contributer

That's invaluable information, Duc2V4. I guess I'll leave the two hoses on the shelf for now. I should have known something was up when they listed the kit for 2002-2014 VFR800s. 

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 6/14/2019 at 8:53 PM, Duc2V4 said:

Note that the 6 Gen kit also applies to the 8 Gen. Sfdownhill and I have been talking to AS3 trying to get them to separate their kits so that the 6 Gen can get a complete set. The short hose that connects the rad cap filler tube to the radiator is not in the kit but is in the 5 Gen kit. On the 8 Gen, the radiator cap goes onto the radiator directly, so we assume this is why it’s missing in the 6/8 Gen kit and that you get the two extra hoses.

As for the 5 Gen kit we have provided them with the one hose that connects to the wax unit and  one that Honda does not sell anymore and to either make this part of the 5 Gen kit or sell it in kits for 00-01 and leave it out for 98-99. Good news for 00-01 owners is the hose is being made and should be available soon.

To follow up on the 5 Gen wax idle hoses, I made a post on my installation. The hoses are now available...

Archived