Arrow Exhaust installation

KYVFR800

Hi,

Just picked up a new 2014 standard, I used to have a 1995 and a 2002, moved on to various other bikes and now came back to the VFR. Too hard to pass up a leftover 2014, though wasn't able to snag a deluxe relatively close to home.

I installed an Arrow slip on, but it did not appear there was anyway to reuse the OEM gasket, the Arrow just barely slips over the header pipe, so the OEM gasket is basically the same diameter as the slip on. I am getting a little condensation, at idle - haven't been able to get out to ride yet - dripping out of the joint. Is this normal and/or a problem? Any other option for some type of sealant or gasket, though I can't see how I could get the slip on to fit over anything but the bare header. If it matters, I got the Pro Racing Slip on with Carbon tip. Absolutely zero info included regarding fitting it to the bike, which, with three bolts total, didn't seem to be a concern.

Appreciate any comments or advice.

Thanks, 

IMG_4449.jpg

• Member Contributer

I used to have the same Arrow exhaust with no issues, yes its just a snug fit over the Cat outlet, no gasket. Provided its fully inserted and the band clamp is located at the very front of the pipe and well tightened, you shouldn't have any issues. The build quality of the Arrow is superb. All the aftermarket exhausts I know of don't use the OEM exhaust gasket they just slip on without it.

Your condensation issue is nothing to worry about, though I don't recall having it come out at the join, just re check the tightness of the band clamp and make sure the clamp is over the pipes flange slots at the front of the pipe.

As you don't have a center stand there's no need to have the rubber stopper like mine.

Cheers.

Previous

PA270408.JPG

Latest

WP_20151023_002.jpg

I've had Arrow (not the same as yours), Scorpion and now Remus, all were a close fit over the collector and none of them needed the gasket. Never seen any drips but I'm guessing once you've been out and your engine is properly hot that won't be an issue.

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, KYVFR800 said:

Thanks for the replies/info. I'll double check the clamp and get her out for a proper ride, looking forward to hearing the new pipe.

Oh yeah - Forgot to mention, definitely removed the noise restrictor, think its held in by a cir-clip from memory, otherwise its not much different in sound from the OEM. Then you can enjoy the deep, rich sound of the V4 :wheel: 

Grum, Yep, figured that one out quick! Thanks. I've already committed, but how do you like the IXIL? looks cool.

Here is the joint and the "leak", though can't see or feel any gases coming through, just drops of water.

IMG_4460.jpg

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, KYVFR800 said:

already committed, but how do you like the IXIL? looks cool

Here is the joint and the "leak", though can't see or feel any gases coming through, just drops of water.

Don't worry about the condensation drip, its just the lowest point of the pipe, five minutes of running and it will be all gone. You'll probably find in warmer ambient temps it may not appear. Ride and enjoy it.

Went for the IXIL as I just really liked the style, I wanted something short and a little more aggressive looking, at the time it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the Arrow, a local VFRD member was happy to buy it from me. The Arrow had a slightly deeper sound probably because of its length, but I do also like the sound from the IXIL. You have the option of one, two or no noise reducers, I run with one in.

Enjoy your Arrow exhaust it really is a quality built pipe.

Cheers.

Got out for about a 40 minute ride yesterday, pipe sounds good, nice little rumble without being too loud for the rest of society (IMO). I let it cool down and have fired it back up to idle for a couple of minutes, like after the original install, no condensation dripping out any more; checked again this AM, still no water. Life is good.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:14 AM, KYVFR800 said:

Got out for about a 40 minute ride yesterday, pipe sounds good, nice little rumble without being too loud for the rest of society (IMO). I let it cool down and have fired it back up to idle for a couple of minutes, like after the original install, no condensation dripping out any more; checked again this AM, still no water. Life is good.

Wonder if it was a build up of moisture in the muffler material from storage?

Archived