INCOMPLETE Saddlebag Set received from Ron Ayers.

Having successfully done business with Ron Ayers for over 17 years. I eagerly placed my order several weeks ago for the Honda OEM Saddlebag set for my 2015 VFR800. Upon receipt of the saddlebags and doing an inventory, it was minus installation instructions and the Key Inner Cylinder Lock assembly kits. I am inquiring if anyone else on the forum who may have bought the Honda OEM Saddlebags were also missing the Key Inner Cylinder Lock kits. Are they sold separately? I purchased the Honda OEM Saddlebags for my 2012 VFR1200 in 2016 and the Key Inner Cylinder Lock assembly Kits were included. The only packet included with the saddlebags shows it is a kit imported from Spain. Thanks for any and all input. I just want to make sure Honda is not pulling another fast one on its customers.

• Member Contributer

Remember when I purchased my VFR800F in 2014 along with the OEM panniers that the Cylinder Locks had to be ordered separately. That stuffed me around as the dealership, like me, assumed the locks would come with the panniers, panniers arrived no locks.

It is correct they do not come with the locks. The lock has to be 'built' to match your ignition key so is supplied in a sort of kit (barrel, tumblers etc.). I got mine assembled by my dealer as I go them at the same time as the bike so did not do it myself but it was down as 2 hours labour so must be at least a bit tricky. Why they don't add it to the pannier kit I don't know as who is going to buy panniers you cant lock?

Thanks for the information and responses. I found the thread on here discussing the Lock Cylinder kits being sold separately. I have since ordered a set from Partzilla.com. As stated the Lock cylinder assemblies were included with the Saddle Bag set I ordered in 2016 for my 2012 VFR1200. Those cylinders required the same assembly as the ones for the 2015 Interceptor Saddle Bags.

• Member Contributer

Had my local locksmith install mine, he said it was fairly easy 😏. It cost me about $70. I am sure it saved me a lot of hassle. 

While on the subject of panniers, someone mentioned something about rubber covers for the bottom mounting point ? Has any one received these with there panniers as I didn’t. Have been concerned that the panniers would move around too much possibly causing damage. Have looked on the Honda parts list but can’t find any mention of these. 

• Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, Philois1984 said:

While on the subject of panniers, someone mentioned something about rubber covers for the bottom mounting point ? Has any one received these with there panniers as I didn’t. Have been concerned that the panniers would move around too much possibly causing damage. Have looked on the Honda parts list but can’t find any mention of these. 

Hi Philois1984.

You should have definitely received the left and right rubber lower mount with the panniers! Don't know how you could safely use the panniers without them. Would chase this up with where you purchased them from.

image.jpeg

Yes, the Panniers should come with the Rubber Mounts, spacer and screws. I ordered and received the Lock Cylinders and successfully assembled and installed them in my hard bags with minimal trouble. Once one is assembled the second one goes together quickly. My experience with the same Honda OEM Hard bags for my 2012 VFR1200 GREATLY prepared me for the assembly of the locks for thses hard bags. Very Cheap of Honda to NOT include the inner lock cylinders with the hard bags. Glad to be finished with this process.

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, Philois1984 said:

Had my local locksmith install mine, he said it was fairly easy 😏. It cost me about $70. I am sure it saved me a lot of hassle. 

Did mine myself took 20 mins to do.  Yes the rubber bits are supposed to come with them.

Here is a link to the installation instructions.   https://powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08L70-MJM-A10ZA.pdf

• Member Contributer
On 6/12/2019 at 8:53 AM, Smiler74 said:

It is correct they do not come with the locks. The lock has to be 'built' to match your ignition key so is supplied in a sort of kit (barrel, tumblers etc.). I got mine assembled by my dealer as I go them at the same time as the bike so did not do it myself but it was down as 2 hours labour so must be at least a bit tricky. Why they don't add it to the pannier kit I don't know as who is going to buy panniers you cant lock?

Two hours of labor?!

Robbery...

• Member Contributer

I don’t feel robbed at all. And good luck finding any tradesman in Australia who only charges $35 an hour for labour. Some people can always get things cheaper, better and faster.

• Member Contributer
On 6/15/2019 at 7:48 PM, Philois1984 said:

I don’t feel robbed at all. And good luck finding any tradesman in Australia who only charges $35 an hour for labour. Some people can always get things cheaper, better and faster.

Ahhh, yeah, no wonder he doubles his hourly rate. 

Assembling the first lock took less than an hour for this slow and careful non-locksmith. The second and third locks took maybe ten minutes each. The instructions are detailed and well-illustrated.

• Member Contributer
On 13 June 2019 at 10:05 PM, Philois1984 said:

Contacted Honda MPE some time back and have just now supplied me with the Rubbers part numbers. You should now be able to purchase them through your local dealership

08L02-MGE-D10      RUBBER STEP R

08L03-MGE-D10      RUBBER STEP L

Cheers.

Archived