DIY tail tidy/fender eliminator

Out of desperation to get rid of the huge mud flap that came on my 2014 VFR800, I made my own tail tidy out of parts that came off of the stock rear fender. Hopefully the pictures explain everything well enough that others can follow along if they are looking to do something similar. I didn’t think of making a tutorial until I was already almost finished with it. I cut the plastic mud flap part where it bolts onto the tail in order to use it to fill the space and to strengthen the attachment point. Sanded and drilled a couple of holes in it. Then took two brackets off of it. One of them I drilled two holes into and the other I cut tabs off of and grinded and sanded the lower portion off of. Both brackets were then stripped of the factory paint and then painted in a semi gloss spray paint. Stainless steel bolts were used along with some factory bolts to attach it. It sits perfectly under the factory license plate light and is much higher than stock. It almost looks factory and I’ve only got the cost of a can of spray paint into it plus my time. I hadn’t seen anyone do this yet, so figured I’d share since there aren’t many options.

A5E62ABA-5E28-434B-9372-31363CD0F143.jpeg

39CA8C1B-67C2-4E22-B298-2F62F2E6CD02.jpeg

38CC1B03-501E-4B71-910A-4182D0D2358F.jpeg

F19A90B6-0B4F-45B7-B8B8-5CCDFB087D58.jpeg

9D1F4F5C-206E-4F3B-B63E-9864DEC2C0F7.jpeg

A45DA8A9-D014-407F-AB55-68450257301A.jpeg

65359CD9-E93D-447E-80D1-DD1D1A8D19BE.jpeg

E49636D2-B0F0-49F7-B3CA-0339974B3B98.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Oooofff, what's with the white on black text? I have no idea what you wrote because it's too painful to look at! 

Neat but illegal over here due to the lack of a reflector. Odd isn't it? You have to have orange ones on the sides and forks, we don't but still have to have a red rear one (despite now having enormous reflective yellow rear air-brakes masquerading as registration plates!).

7 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

Oooofff, what's with the white on black text? I have no idea what you wrote because it's too painful to look at! 

Don’t know what happened with the text. I think something on the forum went wrong. 

8 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

Retyped for your sensitive eyes-

Out of desperation to get rid of the huge mud flap that came on my 2014 VFR800, I made my own tail tidy out of parts that came off of the stock rear fender. Hopefully the pictures explain everything well enough that others can follow along if they are looking to do something similar. I didn’t think of making a tutorial until I was already almost finished with it. I cut the plastic mud flap part where it bolts onto the tail in order to use it to fill the space and to strengthen the attachment point. Sanded and drilled a couple of holes in it. Then took two brackets off of it. One of them I drilled two holes into and the other I cut tabs off of and grinded and sanded the lower portion off of. Both brackets were then stripped of the factory paint and then painted in a semi gloss spray paint. Stainless steel bolts were used along with some factory bolts to attach i t. It sits perfectly under the factory license plate light and is much higher than stock. It almost looks factory and I’ve only got the cost of a can of spray paint into it plus my time. I hadn’t seen anyone do this yet, so f igured I’d share since there aren’t many options.

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, Whiplash316 said:

Retyped for your sensitive eyes-

Out of desperation to get rid of the huge mud flap that came on my 2014 VFR800, I made my own tail tidy out of parts that came off of the stock rear fender. Hopefully the pictures explain everything well enough that others can follow along if they are looking to do something similar. I didn’t think of making a tutorial until I was already almost finished with it. I cut the plastic mud flap part where it bolts onto the tail in order to use it to fill the space and to strengthen the attachment point. Sanded and drilled a couple of holes in it. Then took two brackets off of it. One of them I drilled two holes into and the other I cut tabs off of and grinded and sanded the lower portion off of. Both brackets were then stripped of the factory paint and then painted in a semi gloss spray paint. Stainless steel bolts were used along with some factory bolts to attach i t. It sits perfectly under the factory license plate light and is much higher than stock. It almost looks factory and I’ve only got the cost of a can of spray paint into it plus my time. I hadn’t seen anyone do this yet, so f igured I’d share since there aren’t many options.

My astigmatism thanks you!

Edit: Nice work. 

On 6/13/2019 at 5:55 AM, fatshoutybloke said:

Did you copy and paste from VFRWorld? 😉

Ahh, is that what it was? I did. Didn’t seem to be much traffic over there so I tried here. Seems like this is a more popular forum. 

• Member Contributer

Forums in general seem to get a lot less traffic these days. Everyone just uses Facebook for everything. Personally, I find Facebook much too invasive for my tastes. 

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

Forums in general seem to get a lot less traffic these days. Everyone just uses Facebook for everything. Personally, I find Facebook much too invasive for my tastes. 

Agree with that, no facebook for me either. 😎

Archived