RC24 Fuel pump Relay

trooper1999

Hi, As i'm building my RS850 replica I'm having trouble with the fuel pump relay, I can only get the pump to run with it bypassed, the thought I have is it could be faulty or it could be just the position I've mounted it. could any RC24 owners out there photo there pump relay to check I've got it the right way up, as it could be working fine but thinks the bikes upside down.

Thanking in Advance

• Member Contributer

It's not a bank angle sensor, it can be positioned in any orientation.  It is likely just a faulty unit.  They are known to go bad, and one of mine failed in the middle of a floating bridge 2 weeks ago.

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, squirrelman said:

i've bypassed that relay on all my Hondas as it's too unreliable.

Huh?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, squirrelman said:

i've bypassed that relay on all my Hondas as it's too unreliable.

Huh? As well!

• Member Contributer

He's not wrong.  They fail and they fail often.  But I choose to keep one in place with a toggle to over ride when needed.  The system works just fine with it bypassed.  It is a safety feature to keep the pump from operating when you don't want it to (like crashing and a fuel line gets severed around a red hot motor and exhaust).

One failed in the middle of a floating bridge on me two weeks ago.  One of my only bikes that didn't have a toggle, but of course I had a jump wire in my tank bag.  3 minutes later we are on the way again.

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, Captain 80s said:

He's not wrong.  They fail and they fail often.  But I choose to keep one in place with a toggle to over ride when needed.  The system works just fine with it bypassed.  It is a safety feature to keep the pump from operating when you don't want it to (like crashing and a fuel line gets severed around a red hot motor and exhaust).

One failed in the middle of a floating bridge on me two weeks ago.  One of my only bikes that didn't have a toggle, but of course I had a jump wire in my tank bag.  3 minutes later we are on the way again.

That's interesting because Fuel Pump relay and for that matter your Engine Stop, Hi Beam and Lo Beam relays on a 5th and 6gen are all the same type, the 8gen has 6ea of these relays, and are incredibly reliable, I'm not saying they won't fail but generally they are extremely reliable. Surely a good quality modern replacement would serve you well, rather than by-passing the relay.

I've not heard the need to do that on a 5, 6, 7, or 8gen, nor would you want to (long term) for the obvious reasons! I guess having a switchable by-pass could be handy in the unlikely event of the Fuel Pump relay failing YMMV.

• Member Contributer

I own a bunch of 84 to 86 VF/VFRs and it is a problem.  Perhaps a similar modern Fuel Cut Relay could be adapted, never tried.  I still want a toggle to prime the fuel system after winter storage and to get my ass off the middle of a bridge.

Archived