Low Idle at Startup

VFRobert

• I have recently noticed that when I first start my VFR the idle is around 1000 rpm and there is a knocking sound. I assume the knocking sound has something to do with the low idle since the knocking sound goes away once the bike warms up and the idle returns to normal (1200 to 1400 rpm). Could this be a sign that the starter valves are out of sync? Other than this, the bile runs great.

• Member Contributer
  • I have recently noticed that when I first start my VFR the idle is around 1000 rpm and there is a knocking sound. I assume the knocking sound has something to do with the low idle since the knocking sound goes away once the bike warms up and the idle returns to normal (1200 to 1400 rpm). Could this be a sign that the starter valves are out of sync? Other than this, the bile runs great.
Mine has started to do the same thing recently at least in the warm weather. But it is very intermittent. When it was cold less than 2 degrees Celsius out it happened all the time.

I synced my starter valves about 3 times now, replaced all of the vacuum lines, replaced the fast idle wax unit, replaced the coolant and that didn't solve anything. My last resort was installing a rapid bike module. That seemed to help resolve the issue in cold weather, but now that it is warm out I will occasionally and randomly get the same type of start up.

One major thing I did notice was having the PAIR valve plugged, the idle was horrible. to solve this, instead of plugging of the PAIR I just unplugged the solenoid

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Mine is the opposite. It seems to only do it in warm weather. In the coldĀ it always starts up with a high idle and then gradually comes down as it warms up.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, VFRobert said:

Mine is the opposite. It seems to only do it in warm weather. In the coldĀ it always starts up with a high idle and then gradually comes down as it warms up.

I'm feeling like this is just one of the many odd quirks about the ECU programming and fueling of the 6th Gen VFR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So, now that's its a bit warmer here I have noticed mine tends to do the same. I did narrow the knocking down to the transmission - if i pull in the clutch, the knock goes away.

I'm thinking this may be a PAIR related quirk. I have plugged mine back in for test sake and see what effect that has. I'll know tomorrow after i leave work

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Sorry I hadn't gotten back on this, things got a bit hectic. It appears that the pair has no effect on the low idle, however, I did notice that with the pair enabled the idle becomes more inconsistent when warm. this may be a side effect of my rapid bike though?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

well, after getting frustrated with the low idle start up... I decided to adjust my fast idle wax unit. I adjusted the "non-adjustable" nut by a few turns until it idled slightly high on starts on warm days until the coolant temp reaches approximately 42 degrees C where it will drop to normal idle - approx 1200rpm

Archived