And all of a sudden....

• Member Contributer

So before I pull the carbs off, here's what happened:

Rode to work (15 miles) ran perfect-like it has for a couple of years. Fire it up to go home, idles perfect for a couple of minutes while I put my helmet on and one cylinder goes dead. Hmmm. Before, in the past, this usually means time to pull the carbs. Got to get home so off I go. Still running on 3 cylinders-right up to when it totally stops running-no matter how much throttle. Pull over and assess: Battery voltage 12.8 when I started it,  14.8 at speed. Temp, barely moved the needle. Half a tank of fuel (non-ethanol). So I wait 15 minutes, try to start it, fires at barely a touch of the button and runs perfect. Hop on an go about 3 minutes, then down one cylinder, about another 5 minutes-same thing, just dies, won't run any more. Wait 15, starts right up, runs great, then the 3 cylinder power loss for a few and then dies as I turn the corner and coast to a stop at the bottom of my driveway. So far fuel pump is good, float bowls have fuel, did the fuel pump cut-off bypass, still does the same thing. Could it be the carbs? My intuition is that it's electrical-pulse generator? Like I said-starts and runs perfect for 3-4 minutes, the loses a cylinder, will run on 3 for a bit and then just won't run any more. The rear two cylinders are cooler than the front two when it stops running. (coils?)

Thanks in advance for any input. 

bad pulser coil will kill 2 cylinders.  bad ign coil will kill one.  bad cdi can do anything.

inspect all  plug colors, especially the one on the cool cylinder.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Squirrelman. I assume by pulser coil you mean the pulse generator. Time to get out the multimeter, when it does run on all 4 it runs, idles, sounds perfect.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

UPDATE: Well, it turns out the problem was an intermittently bad fuel pump. When asked what I wanted for Fathers Day I said some time to diagnose my bike problem. After checking all the electrics 3 times it turned out the fuel pump would work for a while, sometimes. Bypassed the pump completely, been riding it for over a week, while waiting for a new pump to arrive. 

Archived