Should I buy?

choco

I might have a chance to buy a new 2015 Deluxe for around $8,700 from a dealer, so, of course there will be added on costs, set up and tax, etc. I have a sixth gen with 89600 miles and was thinking it might be time to step up to 8th gen. What say you guys, should I buy?

• Member Contributer

Not sure overall how motorcycle prices in Washington compare to Wisconsin, but my local dealer has a a new red 2015 deluxe for $6987 + ttl. No delivery/setup.  I wouldn't call $8700 a good deal.

Brand new 2014 non-deluxe under $6k.

Seems like that's about as good as your gonna do on the west coast. Couple months ago there were a couple in Wa for $1000 less than that. Seems Honda is starting to get near the end of supply. The 8th gen is much better than the 6th if you don't get one now you'll be kicking yourself. IMHO

• Member Contributer

Do it now before remaining new stocks are finished, glad your going for the Deluxe version. You'll love the 8gen, just no electrical issues to worry about and so so many improvements over the 6gen. Have no idea what a good deal in the US would be!

Good Luck.

Cheers.

• Member Contributer

Can't help but agree. Even $8+ is ridiculously good value for money fit such a superb bike.

Not really sure where to post this..

Just traded my 2012 Triumph Tiger 1200 for a 2011 Honda Vfr1200f with full luggage, exhaust, touring screen and 13k miles on it.

The Tiger had 37000 miles on it and I wanted to sell it while it was still worth something and before anything expensive breaks 😂 Had a test ride on a 2010 Vfr1200f with 25k miles on it with full luggage and my girlfriend on the back and I still loved it, feels a lot lighter than the Triumph (even though it's actually heavier), nicer steering and A LOT of power.

It's so weird, it feels lighter in every way, easier to move around and ride, they've done a good job with the balance👍

I do feel a little bit like I've taken a step back in terms of electronics and touring comfort though. I've lost cruise control which is use pretty much every time I ride it and traction control, but I'm not as bothered about that. I only ever activate my TC when I'm trying to lift the front wheel over bombs and crests in the road😉 

So can anyone think of anything to look out for with this bike? The rear suspension adjuster is seized so the dealership is fixing that before they give it to me, and I've heard of some issues with rear shocks?

Ive also heard of brakes seizing up sometimes as well?

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Scot2324 said:

Just traded my 2012 Triumph Tiger 1200 for a 2011 Honda Vfr1200f with full luggage, exhaust, touring screen and 13k miles on it.

The Tiger had 37000 miles on it and I wanted to sell it while it was still worth something and before anything expensive breaks 😂 Had a test ride on a 2010 Vfr1200f with 25k miles on it with full luggage and my girlfriend on the back and I still loved it, feels a lot lighter than the Triumph (even though it's actually heavier), nicer steering and A LOT of power.

It's so weird, it feels lighter in every way, easier to move around and ride, they've done a good job with the balance👍

I do feel a little bit like I've taken a step back in terms of electronics and touring comfort though. I've lost cruise control which is use pretty much every time I ride it and traction control, but I'm not as bothered about that. I only ever activate my TC when I'm trying to lift the front wheel over bombs and crests in the road😉 

So can anyone think of anything to look out for with this bike? The rear suspension adjuster is seized so the dealership is fixing that before they give it to me, and I've heard of some issues with rear shocks?

You might want to consider putting this in the 7th Gen section of the site so we can keep this on topic. 

3 hours ago, Scot2324 said:

Repost in the 7th gen section.

Regarding the rear suspension issue, it is the seizing of the adjuster...which you are addressing.  I simply upgraded with a Penske on the first and an Ohlins on the second.  Also, the fork suspension is undersprung.   So upgrades to suspension can produce good results.

I just bought mine out right on a CC 8500.  nothing added. they are trying to get it out the door not enough people buying them you could most likely ask 1000$ less an get it. Its costing them money to keep in there inventory so I bet they would say yes.  (I love mine SO SO glad I got the Deluxe) heated grips and adjustable forks ABS Air ride adjust. If your short seat lowering.  Only one thing I don't like is that the back seat is not a cover anymore you replace the seat completely with a cover not a slip over on 6th gen. 

• Member Contributer

What's wrong with the 6th gen.?  Mileage means little if it's taken care of and for god's sakes let's not go down the "check the valves" thread.     

You would be losing a VFR without the farkles with a record of not working well or being needed (turn signal cancel, useless traction control).  No way I would pay for "set up" fees.  There is almost no set up to be done on a crate bike.

Sounds like you really want a new bike.  That's OK but know why you want to spend money on something when you should have a good bike now.  There is nothing wrong with a good 6th gen.    

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Bent said:

What's wrong with the 6th gen.?  Mileage means little if it's taken care of and for god's sakes let's not go down the "check the valves" thread.     

You would be losing a VFR without the farkles with a record of not working well or being needed (turn signal cancel, useless traction control).  No way I would pay for "set up" fees.  There is almost no set up to be done on a crate bike.

Sounds like you really want a new bike.  That's OK but know why you want to spend money on something when you should have a good bike now.  There is nothing wrong with a good 6th gen.    

The set up fee... Such BS. What are we doing, checking the tire pressure? I suppose they might have a chart in the back for rider weight and where to set suspension preload? I suppose that's helpful if you're within the range where the stock suspension works...

I've briefly considered the upgrade to the 8th gen myself, but it didn't add up for me. I like the looks of the 6th gen better (slightly), for my weight the suspension would still require almost all the work I've done to my 6th (proper fork springs and valving, adjustment from an F4i, DMr rear shock), I've already got ABS and I really don't care at all about heated grips. The electrical system would be a nice upgrade, but for me the MOSFET R/R upgrade makes that a mostly moot point. Mildly curious about traction control, but I can't imagine it's a real game changer...

If I didn't have a list of mods and tweaks as long as my... arm... I would seriously think about one though. The prices are great at this point.

Incidentally, @choco - I know a few weeks back, the Honda dealer up in Hillsboro Oregon had a 2014 NOS and were asking $7999. Don't know if it was a Deluxe or not, but it might be worth calling around a bit more if you really want to save a buck. The reality is that these dealers have to be itching to move these 5 year old bikes! If it were me I might be tempted to take a week of vacation, fly out to Wisconsin and let the difference in price pay me to ride home!

• Member Contributer

Spending money on something because it's a good price is a summary of Walmart marketing.  Does spending the money save you money?  89,000 miles on a well taken care of VFR is a non-issue.  Buying an 8th gen. for what it really is might be a valid point.  I rode mine 185 miles in all twisties yesterday and the difference in rpm's needed go move the bike is kind of amazing.  The 8th gen. torque at lower and mid-range is so different that I find I can move around at much lower rpm's than either a 5th or 6th gen. which I've owned.  The 8th gen. stays out of VTEC mode much more because the bike just doesn't need it.  Who cares that the top end speed is less than 10 mph lower?  6th gen's are fun to ride too.  I just found mine needing to stay in VTEC mode a lot more of the time in the way and places I ride.    

Archived