My 1991 VFR750 Project

I am starting this thread to track some of my work and progress on my 1991 VFR750.

Purchased a few years ago - I believe that I am the third owner. The bike was originally from the US (Nevada) and then imported to Canada (BC).  The previous owner here took care of it meticulously and several mods have been done on the bike.

Purchased with 56k miles on the clock.  Runs like a dream.

Modifications include:

Polished frame

Custom paint

THURN fairings up front (upper and both sides)

Modified rear fairing (original) with shaved turn signals

solo seat cover

Modified brake lights (RC30 style) with integrated turn signals and pulse on brake

frame sliders

MSR tinted windscreen

Corbin seat

tail tidy

2001 CBR919RR rear shock (MCJ831)

Barnett kevlar clutch kit

Yoshimura exhaust

Front fork (w/ preload adjuster or from 1996?)

Forks are not original.  Left tube shorter than right.  Both have preload adjusters which I am not sure were originally available.

I am finally working on trying to install the 2-Bros exhaust w/ left exit that I picked up.  It is beautiful.  Had to remove the rear shock to access the final exhaust collector nut, but in doing so I figured out what the shock was.

Questions:

How can I determine spring rate for the rear shock?  I am not sure if the spring has been changed, but have read that stock shock may be too soft for my 185-190lbs frame.  The shock has a yellow spring if that helps.

How to determine what forks I have?  One leg is longer than the other, both have preload adjusters.  Someday I will get into the front end, but not for a while.

I was able to get the exhaust mounted, but had a few problems.

The rear exhaust headers are quite close to the swingarm - left piston pipe is ok with about 1cm clearance.  Right piston pipe is less than 5mm from the swingarm.  Any suggestions on how to space it a bit farther out?  How much space should I be looking for?

As I tried to loosen the exhaust nuts again, one somehow ended up being crossthreaded and extracted the exhaust stud (front right piston).  I will need a new stud and nut, but it came out with no problems so shouldn't be too bad to replace.

Should I use some anti-seize compound on the new stud and exhaust nuts?  What about other hardware going back into the block.  I want clean everything up and like new.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  Will upload some photos soon.

Archived