Touring on a Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado

I'm posting here because I trust the enthusiasts in this forum whom I find very knowledgeable.  I have several bikes in my stable, one of which is of course a 5th Gen VFR.  One of the others is the subject, a 2002 Yamaha V Star Silverado equipped with saddle bags and windscreen.  Technically, it's a V Star 650 Classic.  The group I'm riding with are riding with be riding a VFR 1200, Kawasaki 650 Versys, KTM 650 and a couple of others TBD.  Since the V Star is set up for touring with the bags and windscreen, I have chosen this machine to take on the trip.  Okay, here's my concern; we will be riding about 80 to 85mph and even though I've added a Delkevic header kit, rejetted the carbs and a K&N filter, the V Star is at 82% of redline at 85mph and doesn't seem to like that speed.

It really needs a 6th gear, but unfortunately, the Yamaha design team overlooked that extra cog.  All the V Star forums I've visited have stated that the V Star is happy  to rev all day at 85 mph.  I can't buy in to that.  The bike seems like it is not happy at that speed, especially for days on end.  I've adjusted the valves on the tight side as I believe an adjustment on the loose side will pound the valve seats into submission at that kind of RPM.  Again, the V Star forums state that the mill is happy to rev that high all day with no problem.  When I'm riding the machine at 85mph, there is little left for any roll on "power" should I need to power out of a situation.

I'm concerned about running any factory mill this hard for so long.  The maintenance of this bike has been top notch and I've even gone to the extreme of rebuilding the final drive (the Achilles Heel for the bike as splines tend to need lubed with Honda molybendenum assembly grease frequently for serviceability).  Taking another bike out of my stable is really not an option for reasons beyond the scope of this post.  Bottom line is that I'd be running about 5900 RPM @ 85mph with a rev limited 7200 RPM red line.

I'm definitely going to need earplugs and may even have to JB Weld my teeth to my jaws because the vibration at this speed is significant.  I'm up for it, is this V Star 650 up for it?  I just turned 12000 miles on the bike this evening while shaking it down (no pun intended).  

Opinions and questions are most greatly appreciated from you guys who are the gurus of cycling.  Thanks in advance for your input.  Leaving Cleveland, Ohio on 23 June to Asheville, NC.  That is all.

http://people.delphiforums.com/az1100custmn/YamahaSpeedCalculator.htm

Archived