2007 VFR 800 Won't start, fuel pump won't prime

bsmilen2

So it happened a couple of weeks ago. I was riding it all day back and forth a couple of miles to school and back. The bike would start fine, I started it at least 3 times that day. I let it sit for a couple of hours and when I come back to it, it would not start. I had to put it in my truck and get it back to my house. I put the battery on a trickle charger and I wait a couple of days, it starts right up. I took it off the trickle charger and let it sit to see if the battery could hold a charge. The battery couldn't hold a charge so I replaced it. It started as soon as I put a new batter in it. After that first start it wouldn't start again, so again I put it on a trickle charger and I got it started and rode it to a different place, where I couldn't get it started again. I tried to turn it on at this different place and the fuel pump wouldn't prime every time I turned the ignition key. There was one moment where I got the fuel pump to prime, but then it didn't happen again for a week. I took it in to my local Honda shop and they say it's the ECM I need to replace and they want to do it for $900. I would rather not do that. Has anyone had a similar problem that was fixed without replacing the ECM? Is there anything that I should ask them to check before that gets replaced?

• Member Contributer

VFRs hate weak batteries, as you’ve already discovered. 

Have you got a parasitic current draw that is killing your batteries? If it starts every time with a fresh battery then I think that’s your problem. 

Next time it goes dead try connecting a car battery (need to wait a while for a charge) and have another go. 

• Member Contributer

Sounds like you should check the bikes charging system. With the engine running (if you can get it running) are you seeing around  13.5v to 14.8v across the battery?

As Stray mentioned, check your leakage current, you'll need to remove the negative lead of the battery and have a Multimeter on Amps Range, in series with the battery and negative lead, with Ignition OFF you should not draw any greater the 2.5 milliamps.

There are a many more things to check before worrying about the ECM! They are incredibly reliable.

Assume you are not getting any Fi light flashing codes?

Are you saying the engine cranks over at good speed on the starter, BUT sometimes you're not hearing the Fuel Pump prime at Ignition On = no start? OR you don't hear the Fuel Pump prime AND the engine does NOT crank over when hitting the starter button?

Once running does the bike run ok and not fail until you've stopped then try to start?

Do you know how much investigation Honda did before stating you have an ECM issue?

Are you handy with a multimeter?  There are lots of checks, regards Fuel Pump, wiring and Relay checks, that can be done.

Do you have the Service Manual for your bike? You can download it from the forum.

Attached is a great basic drawing which will help you understand how the Fuel Pump is powered. All of the top section from the Battery to the Fuel Pump is relavent to your issue.

Get back to us with answers to the above, then we can go from there.

Good Luck.

Cheers.

image.png

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, Grum said:

Sounds like you should check the bikes charging system. With the engine running are you seeing above 13v across the battery?

is 13 volt not still a bit low?

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, Saoirse said:

is 13 volt not still a bit low?

Sorry was still editing my post.

• Member Contributer

If it turns out to be the ECU, unlikely as that is,  don't pay the dealer $900 . . . Find a used one on ebay (there's one from an 07 now for $120) and swap it out yourself.   It's an easy 30 min job and you'd save yourself in the neighborhood of $700 to $800. 

• 2 months later...

Random suggestions.

My kill switch on the right handwheel is being fininicky.   If that isn't making good contact the bike won't prime the fuel pump or start.

ONly really matters on mine with the clutch pulled and the bike in gear. otherwise it seems to prime fine.

so rule that out before you go too deep in something else. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, triharder said:

Random suggestions.

My kill switch on the right handwheel is being fininicky.   If that isn't making good contact the bike won't prime the fuel pump or start.

ONly really matters on mine with the clutch pulled and the bike in gear. otherwise it seems to prime fine.

so rule that out before you go too deep in something else. 

The OP, has not bothered to come back with answers to important questions as to whether the bike cranks but doesn't start etc. Sounds like his problem was purely a fuel pump prime issue, not a cranking issue. Faulty kill switch = no cranking.

Bit of a sad fact. People join the forum wanting a quick answer to their problems and then you never hear from them again. We don't get any follow up so we don't even get to learn from their issue!

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, triharder said:

Triharder, are you saying your fuel pump doesn't prime if your clutch is pulled in and in gear??? Not sure what your getting at here, do you have a starting issue? Tell us more, let's get it sorted.

Cheers.

Thanks for checking in with me.   

My issue or probably more of a "I need to disassembly and clean" is my kill switch.  

Randomly the other day, with the clutch pulled in, (kickstand up) and bike in gear I tried to start the bike.  However it won't turn over.

I've started the bike a few times with the clutch in, (kickstand up) and bike in gear.   So i questioned what was happening.  (i'm 200 miles from home for work until tomorrow so disassembly/inspection/clean isn't happening until i get home).

I discovered that kill switch on (throttle handlebar) wasn't making good contact so i pushed the button harder and it seemed to start priming my bike and thus starting.

so i was just offering a (KISS) starting point for why the bike won't prime, if the kill switch isn't making contact the bike won't run/start or prime).

I don't think i have an serious issue, i think my switch just needs to be cleaned with some di-electric grease to keep out moisture.  (for now i'm only cycling the key off to turn off bike until i'm home).

Hope this helps.  And thanks again for checking on me.

(per looking at this forum and chatting with Jamie Daughtry i'm going to upgrade the suspension when i get home (should have done it years ago).

sorry to hijack the thread. 

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, triharder said:

Thanks for checking in with me.   

My issue or probably more of a "I need to disassembly and clean" is my kill switch.  

Randomly the other day, with the clutch pulled in, (kickstand up) and bike in gear I tried to start the bike.  However it won't turn over.

I've started the bike a few times with the clutch in, (kickstand up) and bike in gear.   So i questioned what was happening.  (i'm 200 miles from home for work until tomorrow so disassembly/inspection/clean isn't happening until i get home).

I discovered that kill switch on (throttle handlebar) wasn't making good contact so i pushed the button harder and it seemed to start priming my bike and thus starting.

so i was just offering a (KISS) starting point for why the bike won't prime, if the kill switch isn't making contact the bike won't run/start or prime).

I don't think i have an serious issue, i think my switch just needs to be cleaned with some di-electric grease to keep out moisture.  (for now i'm only cycling the key off to turn off bike until i'm home).

Hope this helps.  And thanks again for checking on me.

(per looking at this forum and chatting with Jamie Daughtry i'm going to upgrade the suspension when i get home (should have done it years ago).

sorry to hijack the thread. 

If you are Only having starting issues with an in gear start then the issue is most likely the Clutch switch or possibly the Sidestand switch. If your bike suddenly cuts out while riding, suspect either Sidestand switch or Kill switch.

If you are having issues with Both neutral And in gear starts, as well as no fuel pump prime then yes the Kill Switch could be the cause.

Using the Kill switch to stop your bike is not a good practice.

If you get distracted after stopping the engine without turning the ignition to Off your headlights will still be On, you could end up with a flat battery. I've seen this happen. Kill switch is really an emergency only device. 

Good luck with getting it sorted.

Archived