My VFR750 RC36-1 updated

JayRain

Hi guys,

Some time ago I thought about trying to convert my RC36 third gen into an RC30 (bodywork). After realizing it was a bit too enthusiastic due to a busy job and (lovely) family, I went for a more easy update. 

The project is close to being finished, so I thought I'd post some pictures and provide some info that might be helpful for those who are thinking of a conversion. 

This picture is taken after my very first spray paint job some years ago when my fairings were damaged after a low-speed crash in winter (I never ride again when it freezes). Not the best paint job, but I was happy I fixed everything. This was the starting point for a more thorough update later on. 

More pics will follow shortly.

2014-05-17 18.41.54.jpg

2014-05-18 11.57.15.jpg

I was looking for an easy fix for the rear, that would give the bike a bit of the RC30 look, and ended up buying the rear cowl of Thurn (Germany).  It is a bit bulkier than the rear of the RC30, but since I would use the (bulkier) original RC36 fuel tank, I thought that it would actually fit the design more. Moreover, this rear cowl fits the original subframe without major modifications. The only thing you need to shorten (remove) is the clip that holds the rear brake fluid container, and you can easily bolt it to the subframe again (there is an extra hole). 

The quality of this fairing is very very good; the best aftermarket fairing I have ever bought. Solid.

Cowl.jpg

Mod1.jpg

The next "modification" you need to make is the brackets so that you can bolt the fairing to the bike. It is a bit of trial and error, measure, fit, remove, alter, fit, repeat 🙂 

I used aluminum square tubes and bars to create them. 

I also bought the square rear lights from Thurn and installed them. And, initially, I shortened the original rear fender since it is way to long, which doesn't look good at all. Although the shortening actually looked good, I ended up buying the short rear fender from, again, Thurn. 

IMAG1540.jpg

Rear.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very cool project and I like the overall look! 

Is the chain guard metal or plastic? Where did you get it? Really cleans up the rear. 

Try running the rear brake line through the hollow swingarm. Will clean up the rear even further. There are a few threads on here telling you how. 

Hey, you may have a cousin on the other side of the pond!  Nice looking project - keep at it.  I always dreamed of owning a VFR750 (3rd Gen) or RC30.  I found mine on Craigslist a few years ago, but it was already mostly done.  Mine has the original rear fairing smoothed and filled in.  The rear brake lights and blinkers are in the same unit, so no extra tail lights.  My license plate holder is on a bracket right up under the light with a small channel cut out so that the brake lights shine on the licence plate in the dark.

Currently working on a 2-Brothers exhaust to complete the look, and also some handlebar risers to make it a bit more comfortable.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

front.jpg

rear.jpg

rear2.jpg

12 hours ago, Stray said:

Very cool project and I like the overall look! 

Is the chain guard metal or plastic? Where did you get it? Really cleans up the rear. 

Try running the rear brake line through the hollow swingarm. Will clean up the rear even further. There are a few threads on here telling you how. 

Thanks!

It is aluminum, and I got it from Thurn as well. They have a lot of nice products for the VFR! 

Thanks for the tip on the rear brake line, will check it out!

The next update I got was a custom-made muffler from Superpole. The sound is really awesome now: a low rumble, love it!

As you can see from the picture, the rear has received a white primer-filler tan. I ordered new original fairings from Thurn for the front as well, since the quality of the rear was so good. Indeed, also the front fairings are of undisputed quality. So all parts received the white primer filler since the base color for spray painting also required a white background color (so the parts come in grey).

AFter primer filler, they are ready for spray painting.

PS. Check my daughter's rides in the upper right corner of the pictures. Sometimes I'm allowed to ride those as well, awesome!

Muffler_superpole.jpg

IMAG3118.jpg

IMAG3120.jpg

The next upgrade was the biggest one. I wanted to have better front forks and brakes, and I wanted the front to be lowered in order to get a more aggressive look. Since this was something I wanted an expert to perform, I got in contact with Gerard via a motorcycle forum, who creates motorcycles from scratch (really awesome stuff). He agreed to fix it.

I had the complete front fork (including triple trees) form a Honda CBR600 F4 sport, calipers and brake cylinder of a Honda CBR928RR, clutch cylinder (not sure if this is the right English term) of a Honda VTR1000 SP1, aftermarket clip-ons  (43mm), original controls for lights etc. The original wheel and brake discs were used. 

The last picture shows a random original VFR750 compared to my lowered VFR. Really love it! 

IMG-20190519-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20190520-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20190521-WA0019.jpg

IMG-20190525-WA0004.jpg

20190525_200732-COLLAGE.jpg

One of the best upgrades was a cheap one: I changed the front sprocket from 16, to 15 teeth. So you gain torque, but loose top speed. Up to 200 km/h (125mph), it is just faster. Great upgrade!

There are some things that I want to change.

• The dashboard needs to be updated to a newer one, 1. because it is not so nice, 2. because the brake lever of the CBR900RR is larger and touches the dashboard when in a very close turn. 
  • I'm getting progressive front springs and a new Hyperpro rear shock installed later this year. 

• Member Contributer

Looks like you have a few mm's left to move the brake master to the right and possibly move the clip-on in a bit towards the rank (w/o trapping your thumbs..)

And, no that dashbord IS nice and period correct! :goofy: 

1 minute ago, Dutchy said:

Looks like you have a few mm's left to move the brake master to the right and possibly move the clip-on in a bit towards the rank (w/o trapping your thumbs..)

And, no that dashbord IS nice and period correct! :goofy: 

A matter of taste, agreed 🙂 

The brake cylinder will touch the top fairing if you move it further to the right...

You have been busy!  The outcome looks fantastic and much better (IMHO) than before.  Agreed re: Thurn fairings.  I have the same for the fronts and they are a very nice product.

Enjoy the ride!

• Member Contributer

You've done a wonderful job; it looks fantastic. Congratulations.

It looks awesome, I love it. 

After being parked for 6 months, I will get mine tonight. I wish it looked like yours 😉

Don't hesitate to comment on the Thurn 3-part front fairing. I believe it's the best option out there but still thinking about it before spending 700€ on it.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, bdouvill said:

It looks awesome, I love it. 

After being parked for 6 months, I will get mine tonight. I wish it looked like yours 😉

Don't hesitate to comment on the Thurn 3-part front fairing. I believe it's the best option out there but still thinking about it before spending 700€ on it.

Thanks.

Thanks bdouvill! 6 months, time to ride! 😄

The front fairings of Thurn are also really good. I had damage to some degree on each front part. Getting all pieces second hand online was a hassle and just as/more expensive. For me it was a no-brainer, knowing the rear cowl I got was such good quality.

The only "downside" being that you have to give it a paintjob... I think you can get a decent result using spraycans, although using a spraygun is better obviously.

Archived