Weird Noise (With video and sound)

Yokel

• Member Contributer

Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help put me on the right path here.,.. I have a funny noise, but managed to get it on video.

Best way I can describe is it sounds like radio squelch, there are two distinct pitches.  It seems to be emanating from left side near where camera is positioned.  Sorry about the rattling noise in the camera.

Seems to be most apparent under minimal engine load, but watching the unedited video, seems to pop up under pretty much any circumstance, but primarily at moderate RPM.  The pitch does not change but between those two frequencies.  Bike has 900 miles on it, 2015 Deluxe.

Any ideas?

Youtube link here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAYZtKnsz6k&feature=youtu.be 

• Member Contributer

Very hard to tell from all that wind noise.

Can you place the bike on the Center Stand and run through the gears, do you get the noise? Spin the rear wheel by hand, is it smooth with no brake drag?

Have heard of a stone caught in the rear brake caliper making a screeching noise.

Is your chain tension correct AND not running dry, give it a good lube.

At speed pull the clutch in, does that change anything?

• Member Contributer

Grum,

Thanks for the thoughts... Going to try the centerstand thing.  I'm thinking it may be up front now?  Should help to determine what's going on.

• Member Contributer
On 6/1/2019 at 4:07 PM, Grum said:

Very hard to tell from all that wind noise.

Can you place the bike on the Center Stand and run through the gears, do you get the noise? Spin the rear wheel by hand, is it smooth with no brake drag?

Have heard of a stone caught in the rear brake caliper making a screeching noise.

Is your chain tension correct AND not running dry, give it a good lube.

At speed pull the clutch in, does that change anything?

That's kinda my gut reaction too, but it's a weird one and hard to call. Also makes me think of the noise the transmission in my dad's old Ford pickup made back in the day... which makes me think it might be worth draining the oil and taking a look at it, just to eliminate some kind of major failure due to a manufacturing flaw. I don't know offhand what the break-in mileage is on these... 900 miles?

What's the history? New old stock from a dealer, or has it just not been ridden much so far? 

• Member Contributer

Slammer, thanks.  Yeah, bit like that.  Didn't think of it until you mentioned it.  Might run some seafoam.

Marv, break in 500 miles, did all the stuff (oil change/filter etc... Didn't note any swarf, and oil looked pretty good for new motor).  Bike is NOS, just bought in March.  Chain is lubed and tensioned per service manual, fluids are proper levels...  

But you're making me want to double check.  Hahah

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

That's kinda my gut reaction too, but it's a weird one and hard to call. Also makes me think of the noise the transmission in my dad's old Ford pickup made back in the day... which makes me think it might be worth draining the oil and taking a look at it, just to eliminate some kind of major failure due to a manufacturing flaw. I don't know offhand what the break-in mileage is on these... 900 miles?

What's the history? New old stock from a dealer, or has it just not been ridden much so far? 

Probably the old truck would have had straight cut gears. The 8gen has one of the smoothest gearboxes of any bike, no break in required. Ride it like ya stole it!!

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
8 minutes ago, Grum said:

Probably the old truck would have had straight cut gears. The 8gen has one of the smoothest gearboxes of any bike, no break in required. Ride it like ya stole it!!

Cheers.

That's kinda my point though... If a new Honda makes a noise like an old pickup truck it makes me nervous! A few quarts of oil is pretty cheap peace of mind in the grand scheme...

You guys are probably right, it's probably nothing, but I've never heard that sound out of my 6th gen.

• Member Contributer

Had another thought. Wonder if it's just wind noise resonance! Do you have any luggage, or straps or anything added to the bikes exterior? I've definitely had strange whistling noises from those items before. Might even be the camera mount itself.

Are you saying you can hear it while riding OR have you only noticed it when playing the video?

Still think it's worth getting the bike up to speed, pull in the clutch, let engine idle, might help in identifying where and what it is.

Good Luck. Keep us posted.

Cheers.

Archived