Parked in ‘88 w/ 7,888.8 miles...

Counterbalance

• Member Contributer

If you are in it for the monetary gain/re-coup in the future, I'd walk way now....  :goofy:

2 hours ago, Dutchy said:

If you are in it for the monetary gain/re-coup in the future, I'd walk way now....  :goofy:

What? I should’ve bought a Harley? 😳

I rather think of it as trying to avoid mistakes that there’s no need to pay for. How’s that? 

do hope that I’m not the last owner, and that the next guy will thank me (instead of curse me) the deeper he gets on his restoration.  

I can live with the losses if I’m living that way. 👍

Factory manual arrived today. Here we go!

091EFD8C-4163-4DD4-AB02-1652A40413CB.jpeg

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Counterbalance said:

Any reason not to fill it up with my vinegar wash for a couple days?

Just give that a rinse or two, you'll be fine.   

On 6/3/2019 at 1:32 PM, Stray said:

I’m personally not a slave to OEM. What’s the point? Top trumps? 

No, if I were you I’d build the bike I want. The one I dream of. This is your chance to do just that. 

I can understand keeping original spec on a well-preserved vehicle but this one presents you with a blank slate. 

Race fairings on AirTech look really cool...

Air Tech fairings ordered and should be around a month out. That will give me enough time to get the mechanicals nailed down and do the frame detailing and electrical checks. I’m going to get it looking good and reliable and then see how I feel. I actually really like white pearl and gold so I’m sticking with it. I got the tank rinsed and clean yesterday and I tried cleaning up some of the cockpit area. The Vaseline trick on the handlebar switch assemblies was surprisingly good and I tried my hand at some plastic restoration - not too bad. Needs a bit more work but I like the subtle blue coming out. Chain, tires, hydraulic rubber, carb rubber and a few sundry items en route. Still waiting for the ignition switch. I’m going to make some lower fairing mounts to replace the missing left and damaged right ones. That will be a fun little lathe project!

6BE2906E-731B-4089-BE73-413E29700469.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Heads up on Airtech. They are nice, BUT, make sure you have cutting tools, fiberglass drill bits & dremel tools handy. Depending on what you ordered, they will also need brackets made, or purchase to fit mounting hardware. Airtech is a wrap, replica, of the original shape (as you see after its been mounted) you will need to drill holes, possibly look into dzus fasteners for mounting.  

On 6/6/2019 at 11:04 PM, taglicious said:

Heads up on Airtech. They are nice, BUT, make sure you have cutting tools, fiberglass drill bits & dremel tools handy. Depending on what you ordered, they will also need brackets made, or purchase to fit mounting hardware. Airtech is a wrap, replica, of the original shape (as you see after its been mounted) you will need to drill holes, possibly look into dzus fasteners for mounting.  

Thanks. I’ve never done a fitment with aftermarket fairings before - How hard could it be, right? 🤓

I feel pretty confident with matching up holes and slots, etc. The cut out for the tailight should be interesting but what I lack in experience I can make up with sanding - nice long straight lines. I am a little curious about what i will replace the padding mat on the lower fairings with and also how it will come together without the little nubs that pop into the frame grommets. Is there a way to epoxy in replacements? I don’t want rattles!

• Member Contributer

Any cut outs are "scribed" on the inside of the pieces.  Don't worry about the foam "matting", it is just an attempt to reduce the overall dba of the motorcycle (for the original DOT acceptance) so other things (gear driven cams) can be louder.  They even bolted rubber mats on the inside of each crankcase cover for the same reason.

As far as grommet nubs, I can't remember how airtech comes.  I'm guessing without.  

Which pieces did you order?

• Member Contributer

I would do internal matting for the lowers if you are purchasing them. Fnd the heat resistant matting (they are thinner than the rest, just make sure you measure & cut, before placing, you get one shot lol). If not used, when you paint, it will eventually bubble. I rode with mine for about a year, then the paint started bubbling near the exhaust areas. The bodies are a tad tighter than stock; some places at 1/8"-3/8's. The holes you need are located, but not pre-drilled, and some 'tabs for fitment', may need to be thinned up, or deleted for access to other parts. You sound handy enough 😉 good luck broda

On 6/8/2019 at 11:04 AM, Captain 80s said:

Which pieces did you order?

I’ve got three pieces coming - the left and right lower fairings and the street tail section. (VFR7502, VFR7503, VFR7504S)

Still waiting to to hear back from info@bike-decals.com

On 6/8/2019 at 9:02 PM, taglicious said:

I would do internal matting for the lowers if you are purchasing them. Fnd the heat resistant matting (they are thinner than the rest, just make sure you measure & cut, before placing, you get one shot lol). If not used, when you paint, it will eventually bubble. I rode with mine for about a year, then the paint started bubbling near the exhaust areas. The bodies are a tad tighter than stock; some places at 1/8"-3/8's. The holes you need are located, but not pre-drilled, and some 'tabs for fitment', may need to be thinned up, or deleted for access to other parts. You sound handy enough 😉 good luck broda

This is very helpful, thanks! I’ll look into the matting and talk to my painter about heat sensitivity. On my lower fairings,  most attachments are riveted. Drill out and rivet in place on the new fairings the way to go there?

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Counterbalance said:

On my lower fairings,  most attachments are riveted. Drill out and rivet in place on the new fairings the way to go there?

Yeah, the dzus plates and lower fairing clips, just drill out and rivet on new fairings.

• Member Contributer
On 6/12/2019 at 12:15 AM, Captain 80s said:

Yeah, the dzus plates and lower fairing clips, just drill out and rivet on new fairings.

+1

IMG_20190520_110850.jpg

IMG_20190520_111331.jpg

Archived