Recommissioning an old unused engine?

• Member Contributer

I've had a 1994 750fr engine sat in the garage for a few years. If I wanted to put it into the frame and get it running again what precautions should I take. It's still full of oil, but drained of coolant, no rad, carbs, oil cooler, exhaust etc attached, just the complete block. Been stored with spark plugs in and carb holes and exhaust inlet/ outlets stuffed with rags. The garage is unheated though, but not damp. Would there be any risk of corrosion of barrels or any other internal damage with it just sitting there?

Ive been told that I should crank it over manually first, with spark plugs out, before firing up proper. Any tips on best practice for getting it going again?

Any other advice on what I should look out for etc. Would the lack of coolant have caused internal corrosion issues?

thanks

I agree with the manual crank turning and a spray of light oil into the cylinders prior wouldn't hurt.

My 2005 Mini (also alum block) sat w/o coolant for 9 months and, yes, I found a bit of internal corrosion.

One suggestion would be to use a bore scope to check the cylinders prior to turning the crank.

Brian

Archived