Bay Area Roll Call ride June 22

jeffyjeff

• Member Contributer

The "Bay Area Roll Call 2018" fell a little short of expectations; but you know that was then and this is now.  I'd like to see if there is any interest in hooking up for an early summer  ride..  Here is a local route that features a few roads I was frequenting before my last trip overseas...Morgan Territory Road, Patterson Pass, Coral Hollow, leading to Mines Road, lunch at the Junction, a jaunt down Del Puerto Canyon Road before riding up to the Lick Observatory.  All very picturesque roads, including some windmill country.

https://goo.gl/maps/Tco3D7yrAjqUntau6

Let's meet at Starbucks,  11000 Crow Canyon Road, Danville on Saturday, June 22.  Kickstands up at 8:00AM.

Anybody up for it?  Let's see who answers the "roll call".

• Member Contributer

Great route. Wish I could join, but moved across country. Really miss the CA riding and this was my local area. Enjoy!

• Member Contributer

Awesome!  I'm really looking forward to another ride with the Northern California VFR riders.

Not actually back in the states yet, but will be soon.   Been exploring local roads here in northern Morocco lately.  Here is a link to a AdvRider thread I posted recently. https://advrider.com/f/threads/riding-moroccan-backroads-on-a-yamaha-ybr-125.1378514/    Didn't get much response, though.  I guess the ADV crowd doesn't think much of my puny little 125.   Thanks for responding,.. see you on June 22.

20190411_100247.thumb.jpg.05cf258025401b1edc43d3e95dbcca19.jpg

Think I'll join you though coming from Mariposa thinking of meeting up where you get on 580. As it will take 3 hours to get home from the finnish doing the whole thing would be a long time in the saddle. 

• Member Contributer

I would be up for it, but I already booked the 5-mile at Thunderhill.

Gotta get some slicks though, as I am overheating my street tires.....

• Member Contributer
On 6/2/2019 at 5:18 PM, thepretender said:

Think I'll join you though coming from Mariposa thinking of meeting up where you get on 580. As it will take 3 hours to get home from the finnish doing the whole thing would be a long time in the saddle. 

On 6/4/2019 at 2:55 AM, RC1237V said:

I would be up for it, but I already booked the 5-mile at Thunderhill.

Gotta get some slicks though, as I am overheating my street tires.....

Welcome, thepretender..  We can probably hook up at 580 and Patterson Pass Road.  There are 2 gas stations there about a quarter mile apart.  The Shell station down by the Safeway warehouse is probably a better place to meet.  I'll PM you before the ride to get your cell number  Looking forward to meeting and riding with you.

Jim; sorry you can't make it, but sounds like you got better plans in the works.  maybe next time, or perhaps you can join me for a shakedown ride the weekend before. 

One reason I chose this route is the amount of traffic we ran into last year on hwy 1.  These are sparsely traveled roads, except for motos, and there shouldn't be much vehicle traffic to get in the way of a good time.  Once I return stateside, I might PM or text some of the regulars to see if I can drum up some interest.  Jeff J.

• Member Contributer

Alright!  Now we're talkin.

IN -

Jeffyjeff

St. Stephen

thepretender

bayarearider

tjclyde

OUT-

RC1237V

jlpvfr

OFF THE RADAR

All of the other NorCal VFRD misfits...Where are ya???

• Member Contributer

Back in the States now.  My bike fired right up after 4 months on a battery tender.  Took it out for a 90 mile ride today...I'm ready to go.  Looking forward to seeing everyone in about a week.  I'll follow up with everyone before the ride.  See  you all Saturday.   Jeff  J.

• Member Contributer
On 6/15/2019 at 9:26 PM, tjclyde said:

Sold all of the fast bikes, now riding a slow bike. I'll be bringing up rear lol.   See ya on Saturday.   Tj. 

Road King??   Cool!   I expect we'll see the sparks a flyin!

Ah yes, you probably thought I was dead...I hate to disappoint you.

My tires are Dr Phil, my brake fluid is Aunt Jemima, and my chain is looser than your mom - so naturally I'll be there, if only for proof that TJ has a "did-I-read-that-correctly" ROAD KING.

L.O.L. see ya weirdos Saturday

• Member Contributer

Alright Misfits!  Noel once told me "It's hard to get the band back together."  but it looks like the show will go on.,,,like the Blues Brothers including the horn section.  No, like a David Lee Roth reunion with Van Halen.  ha ha.

See you at Starbucks.  Ride east on Crow Canyon Road about 4 miles from 680.  Left on Center Street and right into the parking lot.  

IN

jeffyjeff

St. Stephen

thepretender

tjclyde

BrianF.

LAST MINUTE SCRATCH

bayarearider

Kickstands up at 8:00AM  We meet thepretender at the foot of Patterson Pass at 10:15 or so.

Thanks, all.

• Member Contributer

Wow, Brian is back from the dead. Or at least reincarnated. And I didn't even know KTM made a "Road King," who knew. 

IMG_0962.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for showing up, everyone.  I, for one, had a great time, and it was nice to see old friends again and to meet and ride with thepretender.  294 miles in 11 hours 29 minutes door to door.

Felt weird to be the leader most of the way.  I looked at the bikes in my mirror and it reminded me of a Geico commercial; except for the dorky half shell helmets, you guys looked the part.  Finally at the foot of Del Puerto Canyon road when Brian, Noel, and Doug jetted off, it felt back to normal.  Strange day at the Junction, we saw C-W trio on a flat bed trailer stage playing Pink Floyd.  food was good.  that band wasn't half bad.  Here are some pix of the day.  

I'll try to post up another ride before I head back overseas.  Probably mid July, my schedule should firm up next week.

Thanks to all.   Jeff J.

20190622_095523.jpg

20190622_125016.jpg

20190622_143606.jpg

20190622_145600.jpg

20190622_153947.jpg

• Member Contributer

Great route Jeff, thanks for organizing. 365 miles for me, got back at 7 after dodging that 680 traffic with you, and now I'm the proud owner of a brand new stylish yellow bungee cord! 

IMG_4899.jpg

Thanks for setting this up Jeff, and thanks for leading. Nice to be a follower for once (and ride at sane speeds).

Fun ride and great to see all of you guys. Lower speeds and fewer pictures in my old age lol. See y’all again soon. 

4DA653F0-73A4-44AA-BB8E-5432D53EA13B.jpeg

B493A07D-1D4E-4A8B-AB7B-86179BEBFB71.jpeg

ED5A0DFC-2BD0-4D2D-8B39-1726DA85EE15.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I so wish I was able to join you guys, I actually had to work this past weekend. I had a big computer crash, 2 failed hard drives, which put my projects behind schedule. I had to use the weekend to catch up a bit and although it helped, still didn’t catch me up completely. Hope to make the next one and get to ride with the group and the thepretender again.

• Member Contributer

Let's tentatively plan for a weekend mid July, say July 13 or 20.

Route to be determined, but likely the Pacific Coast Hwy up to 128, as several inmates have communicated an affinity for that route.  A map is on the first page of the posting "Bay Area Roll Call Ride 2018".   In the meantime, I guess I had better head out and practice those tight hairpins on the east side of Mt. Hamilton.  ha ha.

My crystal ball should clear up by the end of the week, I'll post a new ride, hopefully with a more original title.  JJ

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, jeffyjeff said:

Let's tentatively plan for a weekend mid July, say July 13 or 20.

Route to be determined, but likely the Pacific Coast Hwy up to 128, as several inmates have communicated an affinity for that route.  A map is on the first page of the posting "Bay Area Roll Call Ride 2018".   In the meantime, I guess I had better head out and practice those tight hairpins on the east side of Mt. Hamilton.  ha ha.

My crystal ball should clear up by the end of the week, I'll post a new ride, hopefully with a more original title.  JJ

Just a heads up, the weekend of July 13th is the weekend of the World Superbike Race at Laguna Seca.

Archived