VFR 800 and VFR 750 handlebar swap?

Maverickk

Question

Hey guys, so I have a 2000 VFR 800 (5th Gen) and my Dad has a ‘93 VFR 750. My bike has 4” risers on it whereas his has the stock bars. I much prefer the more leaned over feel of the stock bars and he wants some risers to ease the weight on his wrists. Could we simply swap the bars? 

6 answers to this question

• Member Contributer

They are both 41mm diameter forks so that is easy, what might not be is if there is a locating dowel on the bar underside that locates on the triple clamp to orient the bar. But you can cut/grind those off and rely on the bar clamp to stop the bar moving on the fork tube. You will also have locating dowels in the switchgear that mate with holes drilled in the bar tube, so you might need to drill those on the "new" bars to get them to locate nicely. Last but not least, 4" risers may move the controls too far for the hoses/cables to reach, might be trial and error, and you may be able to re-route things so they fit. 

• Member Contributer

I am not sure about 3rd gen, but you could do a quick test to find out.  Unbolt, swap, rebolt up and take a look.

- I am running 4th gen bars on my 5th gen. The 4th bars are about 1 inch lower than the stocker 5th gen bars. I did have to cut off the locating pins on the clamps

but that was no big deal once it is torqued down. 

@Terry - you are on the ST forums too? 

Appreciate the responses guys! I will definitely keep your insights/suggestions in mind when we try to swap them, hopefully sometime within the next few days! I’ll let you know how it goes. Would definitely beat both of us having to fork out cash to get new bars. 

• Member Contributer

I have a 5th gen bar in my hand and a 3rd gen on the bike. There is very little difference that I can see, maybe a slightly different downward angle. Where did you find a 4" riser???

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, mello dude said:

@Terry - you are on the ST forums too? 

Certainly am Mello; I have "culled the herd" and bought an 09 ST1300, and sold my 1990 ST1100 and the VFR800, but I kept my VTR. But I am sort of missing the 800 now...

2 hours ago, RDMcD said:

I have a 5th gen bar in my hand and a 3rd gen on the bike. There is very little difference that I can see, maybe a slightly different downward angle. Where did you find a 4" riser???

Honestly, not sure! Came with the bike when I bought it. I haven’t actually measured them though, 4” was simply what the seller told me. They are certainly higher than stock but I’m not sure on the exact dimensions. 

Archived