daytona 675 front end

davfr

Question

I want to swap my 3rd Gen VFR front end for a Daytona 675 front end that I just happen to have laying around the garage. All balls makes the conversion bearings for the steering stem and the stem seems about the right length.  Has anyone attempted that swap?  The forks are slightly shorter so that will be its own issue.  I am not concerned about the body work clearance or the turn stops, I'm only concerned with the steering stem.

1 answer to this question

• Member Contributer

I’ve fitted a ZX6R front using those All Balls conversion kits - works just fine. 

I had my steering stem pressed out, shortened and reinserted as it was too long. Needed to cut a groove for circling too. All of it can be done with hand tools except for pressing the stem out.

It took 20tonnes of pressure to budge it! 

Steering stops are not not a big deal. Many ways to get that sorted after fitment. 

One point to note - VFR has really long fork distance from stem nut. Newer sports bikes have a smaller distance so forks are closer to the rider than standard VFR. Your 675 clipons will also be lower. 

Lower and closer clipons will foul the tank easily if you don’t get your steering stops sorted. 

One easy solution is to fit superbike bars and risers which puts your bars wherever you want. 

This solution also gives you back a bit of the fork (where the clipons would bolt) so you can drop that through the top clamp and gain back some fork length. 

Just some ideas. 

Stray

Archived