Fried Stator

Darinmac6

I recently through testing that I had a bad stator and replaced it. I installed it the same way that it came out, or so I thought. When I removed the stator I noticed that the wires that are held down by the bracket were pinched and exposed and I assume are the reason for the failure. My question is this, other than the obvious wherein I pinched the wires has anyone made this mistake and am I just tightening the bracket down too much and or installing it wrong. I've incuded photos for reference. Any help is greatly appreciated.By the way I'm a bit embarrassed as I am usually more thorough. I just added a photo of how I had it installed.

20190525_011140.jpg

20190525_011157.jpg

20190525_011152.jpg

20190525_012848.jpg

• Member Contributer

O.K. So you've crushed and shorted to frame the stator wires via the cable clamp bracket. You need to make sure that the wires travel through the channel underneath the bracket and just to the right of the cable bracket mount screw. Your windings don't look cooked so hopefully they are ok, but you are going to have to repair the crushed wires.

You could cut, solder and sleeve the wires OR take the Stator along to a professional rewinding place and have the flying leads replaced, due to the hot oily environment having the leads professionally replaced might be the best option.

Also grab a multi meter on the Ohms scale and make sure the three wires have NO  continuity to the metal body of the stator, and have a very low reading between each yellow wire.

Good luck and when installing the stator make sure the wires are properly in the channel away from the Cable Bracket mounting screw post.

Cheers.

Archived