Bike took a big hit

• Member Contributer

A couple of days ago I was returning from riding in western North Carolina and was in Northern NJ as it was the most expedient way to get home. Normally I avoid those roads but I'm on a plane to Jacksonville for 3 weeks of work in a couple of days and just needed to get home.

I was on 287 doing 70-75 in the middle lane when a car in the right hand lane cut in front of me to pass. He waited to long and was really close so I throttled back. As I did. I saw something in the road, it was the size and shape of about 3-4 packs of playing cards taped together. I tried to lean hard to the right but the front tire clipped it. A millisecond later I heard the loudest bang I've heard in 40 years of riding. The rear tire may or may not have lost contact, but I don't know as the impact sent my helmet and shoulders over the windshield and I was busy trying to find my seat again.

I glided to the right, but there was no breakdown lane, just about 30 inches from the white line to the edge of the pavement. I did a rolling inspection of my front tire and it seemed as though the suspension was fine. The rear seemed to have air, so I decided to get out of there as I was getting  buzzed by 18 wheelers about 18 inches from me. I figured even if one of the tires was toast I could probably find a better spot to pull over.

I hit the throttle and instantly knew where the bike was hit. It sounded like 3 straight pipe Harleys chained together. Man, I had the bike apart a few weeks ago doing forks, stem head bearings, wheel bearings, and while the fairings and all that was off I cleaned up the exhaust system, and patted myself on the back that it was still solid. 

It took a while, and though loud, I made it about an hour later to a service plaza on 87. I first checked the tires very slowly and surprisingly the were ok. There was a scuff on the sidewall of the front where I had glanced of the debris but otherwise they were fine. Next I checked the flange where the collector connects to the pipe, it was solid. Forward down pipes, ditto. Put the bike on the center stand and stuck my head under with a flashlight to look at the collector.

Houston, we have a problem.

I took me a few very loud hours to get to the hotel where I was staying, but luckily there was a Wally World down the road. After checking in, and yes, all the employees heard me arrive. I ran over and found something called Steel Stick, an epoxy/steel putty. It was only rated to 300F, but it just had to work for 425 miles. The hole was the size of a golf ball, so I wasn't sure it would work, but had to try something. It was the consistency of play dough when mixed so I used half to fill the hole, then made a thinner piece to give more surface area and better adhesion. I guess it worked as the bikes in the driveway and only my TBR can annoys the neighbors, not an open exhaust :+)

Sitting around later that evening after applying the Steel Stick, It dawned on me I had passed around 20-25 18 wheelers loaded with huge steel beams and about the same number with large pre stressed concrete structures. I'm pretty sure given the force of the impact and the damage done it was a bit of steel that just fell off some truck. So maybe it was best if it took out the collector as if it had hit my foot or leg, it could have been a real life changer. I wear TCX racing boots and leather armored riding pants as result of a bad crash 12 years ago, but I doubt they would have been much good in this instance. 

Well, that's it for now, I'm off to Classifieds, hat in hand, to see if there is a spare 4th gen collector gathering dust on the Board.

Be safe out there.

thumbnail_0521191516_HDR[1].jpg

thumbnail_0521191728[1].jpg

• Member Contributer

Holy cow Batman!!!!!

Thank F u are unscaved...

• Member Contributer
25 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Holy cow Batman!!!!!

Thank F u are unscaved...

Yes Boy Wonder,

Thank F.

Batman Emoticon

• Member Contributer

Wow man - glad it didn’t hit you! 

Can you cut out the damaged part and get a patch welded onto your collector? Might save you some money. 

• Member Contributer

If you like, I can ask around here in NL for a 2nd hand collector if your stateside search doesnot come up Trumps :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Quickly, go out and buy a lottery ticket!

Thank goodness you are ok.  :beer:

Damn that sucks. I don't know if you remember but I live in Maine as well. Depending on when you get home we will be in the state at the same time. I will have to decide which I want but I have both a left and right side exit TBR setup, right exit is on the bike right now but I'm decent at swapping them. Send me a message if you are interested.

• Member Contributer

.Holy Cow! I just went through Bath a few minutes ago on Concord Trailways...……...You must be prescient.

On my way to Boston, fly out early tomorrow to Jacksonville. Fairly quick one this time as its only 3 weeks. I'll be in touch when I return. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am glad to hear the exhaust took the damage.  I "hit" a rubber cone on the freeway once and it scared the daylights out of me.  I can only imagine the sound and feeling of a solid impact like this.  Ride safe!

• Member Contributer

You are right & a lucky man it missed your foot. I once hit a concrete kerb stone that had been thrown in the road, it put a massive dent in my front rim, bu luckily the tubeless tyre still held air. The force of the impact exploded the concrete block & a large chunk hit the bottom of my right foot, even though the foot peg told a chunk of the impact, my foot swelled up & I was not able to get my boot back on when it was removed & I could barely walk for two days.

Glad everything’s OK, apart from a replaceable part.

• Member Contributer

Thank God you are ok and it's just the collector box that got damaged, those roads are very dangerous when there is no hard shoulder as well, well done for keeping a cool head too.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the replies. I may well have a look at having it repaired. My brother is a welder, first on nuke subs, then nuke plants, now jet engine parts. If I take the collector off and cover it in ice cold beer, it may attract his attention. My job got extended by a week so I'm at the airport, not headed to Maine, but south to Lauderdale..............well, guess it pays better than riding my motorcycle.

I am in the process of swapping my exhaust for a TBR left exit one.  Some of the nuts were hard to get at, but all in all, everything came off smoothly.  The hard part was getting at the rear cylinder exhaust studs, but you should be able leave the rear cylinder collector intact.  I am having a harder time installing the new exhaust! 🙄

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Hey....how about getting a full Black Widow exhaust system?  Just saw them on ebay this past weekend....price is not bad at all.  

Archived