New Member from the UK - Battery problem

Hello everyone,

I am a new owner of a brand new 17YM 8th Gen VFR in black which i picked up just under two weeks ago. I've been reading through the forum and there's some really useful information, I'm looking forward to becoming an active member!

I do have a problem with the bike already though. When I picked the bike up I rode just under 100 miles on it and no issues. It was then parked in a garage for 9 days and now the bike won't start! It sounds like the battery is flat which surprised me. Has anyone experienced this issue with a new bike/battery? When I turn the ignition the lights come on the dash goes through the normal start up cycle. When I try to start the bike there's a strange almost tapping noise and the dash cuts out.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Nope, never gone through it.  Take it back to the dealer.  It's under warranty.  Better yet, have the come get it.  

• Member Contributer

A brand new bike sat unused in your garage for 9 days😳 thats some willpower. Agree with the above though, as long as the battery is covered under warranty they should replace it.

Are there accessories installed (after-market or not) ? Maybe one of them is continuously drawing current, because maybe connected to the battery instead of to the accessories ?

• Member Contributer

Take it back to the dealer for a new battery. I am surprised though as I’m still on the original battery 

Vehicle rescue service guy came to the bike, battery voltage was 10.7 Volts which he said is very low. Jump started the bike and he confirmed the alternator was working well charging at 13.8 volts. I do have a GPS tracker installed, but I still think it couldn't have drawn that much current over a 9 day period. I will take it back to the dealer's service department. Thanks for all the responses

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, VFRLondon said:

Vehicle rescue service guy came to the bike, battery voltage was 10.7 Volts which he said is very low. Jump started the bike and he confirmed the alternator was working well charging at 13.8 volts. I do have a GPS tracker installed, but I still think it couldn't have drawn that much current over a 9 day period. I will take it back to the dealer's service department. Thanks for all the responses

Ding, Ding, Ding, I think we have a winner. Unless that GPS tracker has its own battery that could very easily be the problem

Especially if it's an aftermarket, and updates itself periodically. I could see it running down your battery in 9 days. The best kind is the one that has

its own battery.  I'd check the draw before I did anything else. Otherwise you could just end up draining another battery.

• Member Contributer

Ah! And now the thruth comes out.....   an aftermarket electrickerythingie!!! 😱

:goofy:

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, fink said:

Take it back to the dealer for a new battery. I am surprised though as I’m still on the original battery 

I'm on the original battery too after 5 years using no trickle charger.  That's kind of amazing to me.  I'm considering a new one for peace of mind but it still starts and goes Vroom....

The tracker is included with all new Honda motorcycles in the UK, free of charge and installation costs (although a subscription is required). So it's kind of an official accessory (but not manufactured by Honda), and I would be surprised if they included it with new bikes knowing they will drain batteries quickly. I'll check in with dealer and see what they say.

Thanks all, weekend is nearly here, happy and safe riding!!

• Member Contributer

My concerns are that the bike is a new 2017 model. So if the dealership has had it for that time what do they do to maintain the supplied battery?

The battery a Yuasa YTZ12S is a factory activated AGM battery. So could the dealership have had the battery lying around for 2 years without proper care?

Until the battery is properly load checked I'd guess you may have a shorted cell. Generally the charge voltage on the 8gen's is very stable at 14.5v. (Fancy new type of R/R).

Good Luck - Would be very interested on what the dealership do for you, and if they carry out a load check.

Archived