Secondary "kill" switch

Rsparky

The more I think about this idea, the more I like it. And I know it’s not foolproof. Nothing is. But! It’ll be nifty, and a little extra protection can’t hurt. I’ve seen quite a few bike stolen posts on my local Phoenix group. Some are trailered away, others, just screwdriver in the ignition. This could thwart that. Plus, I’ve got the tinkering bug.

Anywho, I want to put a hidden switch inline with the kickstand switch and ground. It’ll be under a fairing panel, and only I will know of its existence. Plus all of you folks. This way, I don’t have to fart around with the ignition, and I can just add a little extra length to a ground wire basically. Then, hypothetically I can hear a would-be thief start it, and laugh hysterically while they stall repetitively and I walk out aiming for the chest.

I've searched for security, kill switch and ignition. Not a whole lot. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

• Member Contributer

Aiming for the chest? You'd shoot a man for trying to steal your bike?

• Member Contributer

Well, they used to hang horse thieves... 

Do 8th gens have HISS? If so, doesn't that already defeat punching the ignition? It seems like your solution would be a solution looking for a problem, while potentially being a problem in its own right.

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, Marvelicious said:

Well, they used to hang horse thieves... 

Do 8th gens have HISS? If so, doesn't that already defeat punching the ignition? It seems like your solution would be a solution looking for a problem, while potentially being a problem in its own right.

HISS not on the American 8gens.

Lol yah, it's a .22. Not that it matters. My domain, my right. And correct, no HISS. I do have a chain, but this would be a much less time consuming daily activity. 

• Member Contributer

Ah, didn't know one way or the other about the HISS... 

But a 22? That seems extremely unwise... If you are going to shoot someone for stealing your bike, the last thing you want is them surviving to take the witness stand against you! 

Your switch may or may not work in a given situation but have it will not stop somebody tossing you bike in a van and stripping it for parts. 

Park it where it is safe or put the biggest chain you can on it if you want to keep it.

As I said "Some are trailered away, others, just screwdriver in the ignition. This could thwart that." 

I do have a chain, but I don't use it often. This will be a quick method to use every time I get on and off. 

1 hour ago, Marvelicious said:

But a 22? That seems extremely unwise... If you are going to shoot someone for stealing your bike, the last thing you want is them surviving to take the witness stand against you! 

hahahaha

• Member Contributer

Back when I was a youngster with not much money, I used to use a small (ish) padlock around the chain to stop some one wheeling my bike away.  Then on my first fast car (a Renault5 GT Turbo) which we’re renowned for being hot wired, I rigged up a coil LT feed wire extension, that lead to a hidden switch mounted in the back of the ash tray. When flipped off the car will NOT start or run 😉 

• Member Contributer

Heh... I think you'd notice, but...

I've known a slightly alarming number of people who've been shot for various reasons... those who were shot with a .22 are still breathing!

It's actually pretty messed up how many people I know who've been shot now that I think about it! 

3 hours ago, Lee 2002 said:

I just keep my insurance policies paid up.   While I've never had to use them, they seem pretty foolproof.

Fortunately, that is a luxury afforded you by your geographic location. 

Crime rate with regard to motorcycle theft (and therefore also insurance policy cost) is exponentially higher in Arizona than in Kansas. 

OP's best bet is actually to secure indoor storage where the bike is out of sight and preferably behind locked doors. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Lee 2002 said:

I just keep my insurance policies paid up.   While I've never had to use them, they seem pretty foolproof.

34 minutes ago, SEBSPEED said:

Fortunately, that is a luxury afforded you by your geographic location. 

Also, not really helpful for some of us. Getting a check for replacement value would not do anything for all the time and effort I've put into all the little things I've done. I don't want a replacement, I want to keep MY bike!

On 5/21/2019 at 8:51 PM, Marvelicious said:

I want to keep MY bike!

EXACTLY! I've put hundreds of hours into fiddling and tweaking everything. It's not done until I say it's done. So I don't want to let it go so easy.

On 5/21/2019 at 8:11 PM, SEBSPEED said:

Crime rate with regard to motorcycle theft (and therefore also insurance policy cost) is exponentially higher in Arizona than in Kansas. 

OP's best bet is actually to secure indoor storage where the bike is out of sight and preferably behind locked doors. 

Lots of thefts posted on local boards. People suck. At home, it is in the garage, but I do modulate the garage door to mitigate it becoming an oven sometimes. 

On 5/21/2019 at 3:10 PM, Mohawk said:

I used to use a small (ish) padlock around the chain to stop some one wheeling my bike away.  Then on my first fast car (a Renault5 GT Turbo) which we’re renowned for being hot wired, I rigged up a coil LT feed wire extension, that lead to a hidden switch mounted in the back of the ash tray. When flipped off the car will NOT start or run 😉 

Genius! Puts disc locks to shame. And it would surely cost less for a new chain and sprockets than a caliper and disc.

Archived