The Return Wire Connector Block

phonzie

Guys,

I'm aware from this and other forums that there have been problems with VFR harnesses/strange electrical faults/the ground wire on the Blue connector/the Orange connector/the main fuse holder/the RR/the stator etc etc.

So I am doing the full electrical look-over.

My question is regarding the ground wire connector block. I've seen it described as having twelve green wires, buried in electrical tape.

I'm looking at an orange connector (perfect condition), with ten green wires, and not hidden but sitting with the blue and grey connector blocks under a clear rubber cover.  Have I got the right one, or is there a second one to find ?

Thanks in advance.

ps Was going to do this procedure anyway, but the bike cut out on the road yesterday for the first time, doing about 40mph, the needle dropping to zero. I rolled to the side, keyed off and back on, and the bike re-started no problem. 

• Member Contributer

So the block you are looking for is located in the main harness on the left side of bike below the Franken-bolt or in that area. There is only one, mine was orange on Y2K model 5th gen, not sure if it’s the same colour for all model years. If it has NOT been molested, then it should be wrapped into the loom, so look for the bulge. If someone has previously fished it out, it may be on display or rewrapped in the loom.

Mine looked perfect, the connectors in the block were all shined & clean, there were two bridge jumpers in there, an 8 & a 6 or 4 pin one, sorry been a few years, so can’t remember exactly. So I removed all the pin ends from the block by destroying it, then found 3 or 4 return wires were heavily corroded on the out side & between the individual strands was lightly corroded. So I clipped all the connectors off & stripped the coating of each wire back an inch or so. Then spread all the corroded wire ends & used some emery paper to clean them. I then intertwined all the wires & soldered together as one, then taped the new block back into the loom. As if by magic my mystery electrical woes vanished.

YMMV

• Member Contributer

Ughhh... I've seriously considered buying a used harness from ebay and using it as a template to build my own from scratch! Just go a gauge heavier on all wires and eliminate any extraneous connectors... but I have something that resembles a life, so that ain't happening!

Archived