Did you know that the VFR has something in common with the 900-plus-horsepower Porsche 919 Hybrid LMP1

• Member Contributer

Hmmm... a 2 liter 500hp  V4 (the extra 400+ hp is from the electric side)... Am I the only one who wants to see a bike built around that engine?

Formula 1 racing is using a 1.6 liter V6 engine in the current formula configuration, but before it was finalized they were also discussing going with a 1.6 liter V4.  I wish they had chosen the V4.  The rumor was that all of the manufacturers except Ferrari were willing to go with the V4, but what Ferrari says is what goes 

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Marvelicious said:

Hmmm... a 2 liter 500hp  V4 (the extra 400+ hp is from the electric side)... Am I the only one who wants to see a bike built around that engine?

I think that that the rider would have to be superglued to a bike with 500HP, but the concept is exciting. I think that I have seen clips on youtube of people who have turbocharged a VFR.  I wonder how much more power they got out of it?

1 hour ago, RossR said:

I think that that the rider would have to be superglued to a bike with 500HP, but the concept is exciting. I think that I have seen clips on youtube of people who have turbocharged a VFR.  I wonder how much more power they got out of it?

Google Torocharger and you will get all kinds of info on the supercharger fitted to a VFR800. No longer in production and my understanding is that only twelve were produced.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, RossR said:

The Toro kit used a belt driven supercharger vs turbo.   Peak HP 173.  Not huge torque numbers but that's difficult to achieve with small displacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPcFBgnSE7o

• Member Contributer
On 5/15/2019 at 9:10 AM, Sweeper said:

Google Torocharger and you will get all kinds of info on the supercharger fitted to a VFR800. No longer in production and my understanding is that only twelve were produced.

Thanks for the information. Quite useful.  toro1 is a member of his forum, but unfortunately most of his threads on this forum are lost.

• Member Contributer

Only 12?  That can't be right, can it?

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, JZH said:

Only 12?  That can't be right, can it?

Ciao,

JZH

It's quite possible. These kits were almost $6,000. Add that, and labour costs to the value of a 5th or 6th gen VFR at that time and you are close or higher than the price of a CBR1000R or BMWS1000Rr,  so this was only for extreme VFR enthusiasts. I doubt that "toro" made much on these as small production runs are not cheap and he did mention that they had many parts

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, RossR said:

Thanks for the information. Quite useful.  toro1 is a member of his forum, but unfortunately most of his threads on this forum are lost.

Actually all historic threads are there, you just sometimes have to adjust the link for them to come up. 

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, RossR said:

It's quite possible. These kits were almost $6,000. Add that, and labour costs to the value of a 5th or 6th gen VFR at that time and you are close or higher than the price of a CBR1000R or BMWS1000Rr,  so this was only for extreme VFR enthusiasts. I doubt that "toro" made much on these as small production runs are not cheap the he did mention that they had many parts

I had just thought there had been more than that.  He did both 5th gen and 6th gen versions, after all.

In case you didn't know, I am one of the "lucky few".  I bought my "Yellow Peril" Y2k bike specifically in order to fit an A&A kit to it.  My thread is here: 

Ciao,

JZH

Archived