Cleaned up a tail light wiring -- added switchback signals

MooseMoose

• Member Contributer

So, the previous owner had put in an aftermarket tail light unit, and kind of hacked up the harness. I had to replace it after a lens got smashed and the new one I got from Europe didn't have the same connectors, So I crimped on some spades real quick to get it on the road (I wanted to test the exhaust!) but there's no way in hell I was leaving it that ugly. I've been meaning to pull his spade connectors anyway, but now was the time.

I will preface this by noting that I have since found you can buy Honda sockets for $9 each, and I also found the loom end plugs. So... yeah. I could have made it more stock like if I was patient. And I have purchased the loom end plugs so if I want to go back to stock I can cut the new block out and 7 crimps later I'm good to go.

Anyway, here's what was in there when I realized I should take some pics -- it was worse before this, all wrapped up in sticky electrical tape that had that melty goo quality that that shit gets after a couple years. NEVER use sticky electrical tape in a motorcycle!

oldspaghetti.jpg

The old light only lit the red during normal running

oldlighting.jpg

So, I made a new loom with a 9 pin connector -- and I separated out the switchbacks to they're powered by the low power brake light signal rather than just left open like stock. I wrapped the wire mess with cold shrink tape. I could have done a neater job there, but yeah, I was out of the techflex I normally use and didn't realize, so I improvised. Whatever. it's all bundled nicely and cold shrink doesn't leave sticky goo, which makes me very happy if I want to do future service on this mess.

newloom.jpg

I made it so it would be storable up above the tail light

tuckingaway.jpg

When its done it is totally out of the way. Which is good, that little pocket there is where I tuck my pen case when headed to the coffee shop, or my wallet and phone when I'm wearing leathers. Now the wires are completely out of the way.

tuckedaway1.jpg

And all lights light.  This looks brighter than it is relative to the first pic because I took it well after dark

newlighting.jpg

I have the flasher to slow that blinky light down. It was fine before, but I also added LEDs in the front turn signals, and with LEDs front and back it does this.  I'll put the flasher in next time I pull the front fairing fr some reason.

Archived